Have an issue with my new to me five speed.

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 02:45 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Have an issue with my new to me five speed.

Hello, my name is Will, and i just bought a new to me 1986 z28! The bad...the t5 is popping out of first gear, and now after driving it a little, its getting harder to go into other gears as well! Once she is in second, or any other gear I have no problems. But to get it in their is becoming a real pain once the engine warms up.

I keep reading bad sync's....and also bent forks...but no one really knows for sure....I can yank it out and do the work myself is it's not to imvoled or there's a how to...but being honest I have never done t before. Any help would be great! Thanks..

Old 10-21-2010, 08:32 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

pick up a factory shop/service manual for your yr and model. suere sounds like the syncros are gone. personlly i dont tear into trany's or rearends so i would send it in to be rebuilt.

Old 10-21-2010, 10:52 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Yeah bro, it came with three different types of manuals! I have the service, as well as chilton and haynes! Just figure I want to get out of this as cheap as possible. Of course...lol.

Took her out today and she is gettin worse. If I play with her a bit, I can make her go into second and so on...but as she warms up she really hates to. When i first drove her home, second and all the rest were easy as hell to get into. First was the only witch....now I believe they are all wearing out pretty bad and fast!

Old 10-21-2010, 11:19 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Ok, I just got off the phone with two seperate trans. rebuild palces and both tell me they think the tranny is fine and that my problem lies in the clutch not fully letting go. They say that because it will not fully disengauge, that the syncro can't do its job. And that's why when I put her in first gear when its off, the sync's cant fully engage and it pop's outta gear. They both also said that I just need to adjust the t5 so that the clutch will fully disengage the gears. Doing so will fix my whole problem. Does this sound right to you guys? If I am really really easy...I can keep her in first gear but if I give any gas, she pops out. And the other gears are now getting harder to go into. Plus they said the sync's just don't go out at the same time. This is why they say its clutch related. Oh, and yes...I admit I played in second gear..lol. She kicks the *** out very easy with no slip. So I would think the clutch is fine that way...but they are saying that of course it would do that cause its easily fully engaged just about all the time. All this kinda makes sense...but I dunno that much about these...what do yall think?

Old 10-21-2010, 11:27 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

poping out of gear is not a clutch problem, going into gear would be another issue and i would look at clutch adjustment to try and solve that problem. it may be that you adjust the clutch and the poping out will not be a bad cause its goin into gear all the way. i was kinda thinking you didnt have any adjustment on your clutch for some reason. how old is the clutch?

Old 10-21-2010, 11:39 AM
In the Staging Lanes

I have no way of knowing bud. I just bought the car. He said it was not old though..And when i test drove it it grabbed really well so I didnt think about it. They say because teh clutch wont full disengage is why it pops out of first. That me thinking its actually in first when in reality its barely in first gear. Hence teh popping out. And I have no idea on how to adjust the clutch either..I am reading up now...