92' RS General Project Conversation

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2018, 10:18 AM
Default 92' RS General Project Conversation

So just joined CamaroForums.com, hoping to get info as I go and have some quality conversations with enthusiasts and perhaps help a few folks out with questions as I go. So I've had my 92' for near 11 years now and she has seen her age... I'm a computer programmer not a mechanic, yet I have enough wrench time that I guess I am qualified on the subject... This is my 17th Camaro and by far my favorite. She is the Heritage edition 3.1L V6. I prefer the 3.1L for fuel economy and am interested in cruising more then speed... So please don't knock me for my block... The T-Tops are as hazed and nasty as they can get and the mileage is something over 400k. The Odometer stopped working years ago as did the speed sensor... I am keeping the Vin matching block and eventually restore the entire thing to factory plus condition. I have many projects on my hands with her. As thus far I have only ran maintenance and upkeep. At the moment I am working on getting her into top working shape on a budget. I am starting this post to hopefully showcase progress and to explain some of the modifications I will be performing... She is a daily driver so updates will be spars however I think they will be interesting... My first modification will be building a new wire loom and upgrading the OBD to OBD2. Most people do this for performance enhancement, I am doing this for a more detailed instrument panel and a more in-depth view of my various components... I will be building a digital display to replace my instrument cluster. However as I am a programmer I will be designing a custom system that will appear as the stock version... Or my take on the stock version... I figure, why mess with perfection... The long game list of projects will be very interesting and I hope innovative. I will primarily redesign the car from bumper to bumper over time. My idea is to attempt to retain the original look and lines but tweak them ever so slightly... The 92' Camaro "Heritage Edition" is flawed in that it does not represent the Camaro Heritage in any way... It sadly is just another F-body with a fancy badge. The RS is in no way Rally Sport... I've tried and trust me it handles like crap in sand, dirt, and water... I've owned from 68' to 94' and the word Heritage would suggest that she represent the pieces of quality and performance that we have seen in play from 67' to current... Well up to 92'... There is no representation. I will be reforming the nose to resemble a 68' - 69', Widen the fenders to represent the 78' among many other modifications that represent the Camaro's Heritage. I will update some of the electronics and other key systems to represent modern era Camaro's as well... I hope that this car lives up to the image and heart we all have come to love. I will post some images and 3D models to this thread as I can and as I go through this build... As I said I am working on a budget and I am just now starting my journey from just maintaining to restoration and modification... I would love to know what some of you think on the subject of designing a true "Heritage Edition". And I would love to hear what some of you have done to your cars that are in the line of this type of project... As my first task is a custom loom and sensor system, if any of you have suggestions that are outside of the box and not the obvious hurtles I would definitely like to converse about that... Most of the current system components like the sensors will all need to be replaced and I will have to modify certain controllers such as the throttle body and possibly run a fly by wire system to ensure proper throttle response measurements and mapping of fuel air mixtures. It's definitely a project that I will measure twice cut once, or more so will have to think thoroughly through and plan out well... I am designing a CAD model of the entire car (bumper to bumper nut and bolt) and will post links to that when I am done... It is a time consuming project, so not something I will finish any time soon, but one that I know is needed. Sorry I am a bit of a talker when I get to typing... But you have to start a conversation with a platform of integrated thought.

Old 01-20-2018, 02:56 PM
Y2K
4th Gear Member

Ambitious!

Old 06-05-2018, 12:10 PM

I also have the '92 RS with the 3.1. I will be looking forward to seeing your updates. I just acquired mine and it needs a lot of work from top to bottom but am looking forward to the project and been doing a lot of research. I hope you make out well with everything you have in mind. It sounds like it will be a true work of art to be admired.

Old 12-31-2019, 05:51 PM
Default Please update!

How is the build going? It sounds like an interesting and extensive project.
I just picked up a nice '82 Berlinetta 2.8l and am contemplating it's future. Among other things, a custom wire harness is on my mind. I have read electronics are quirky in these things.
Thanks for posting!