won't start

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 01:33 PM
1st Gear Member
Default won't start

i have a 92 RS with a carbed 350 in it. when i went to move the car from the front yard it started just fine (ran and idled a little rough) but started just fine. so this morning i went to move it back to the front yard it would not crank. it would turn over but not crank.
so where would be the most logical place to start troubleshooting.
BTW: i don't know much about the motor and things it was built like this when i bought it

thanks
brad

Old 05-21-2009, 04:52 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Smile Need more details

Originally Posted by bd92rs
i have a 92 RS with a carbed 350 in it. when i went to move the car from the front yard it started just fine (ran and idled a little rough) but started just fine. so this morning i went to move it back to the front yard it would not crank. it would turn over but not crank.
so where would be the most logical place to start troubleshooting.
BTW: i don't know much about the motor and things it was built like this when i bought it

thanks
brad

The 1992 RS did not come stock with a carburated engine, so you must have a swap of general modification. Please tell us what the engine consists of? What kind of tranny? carb? ignition? emissions still on it? headers or manifolds? intake? Might be able to help!

Old 05-21-2009, 04:56 PM
March 2008 ROTM

does it have any kind of anti theft (alarm) on it? Could be a cause. Check battery terminals. Check connection down at the starter, various grounds.

Do the dash lights come on?

Old 05-21-2009, 06:41 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Cool

Originally Posted by 350rs
does it have any kind of anti theft (alarm) on it? Could be a cause. Check battery terminals. Check connection down at the starter, various grounds.

Do the dash lights come on?

If it was the anti theft system. It would not do anything when trying to start it. Im with you on this one 350rs. It could possibly be a various grounds. Does it have gas?faulty battery. Carb may be flooded. if it is you will smell a strong odor of gas. the choke control may be inoperative. fuel filter may be clogged, I have had that happen to me before. fuel pump may need replacing. worn or incorrectly gapped spark plugs can do it as well. distributor may be loose, causing ignition timing to change. or the ignition coil itself may be shot. Thats about the only things I can come up with.. Good luck!!!

Old 05-21-2009, 09:03 PM
1st Gear Member

thanks guys
it's a 350 with a mild cam (cam specs unknown) q-jet carb, stock exht manifolds, HEI distributor and a 700r4 auto trans. that's about all i can tell you,
as stated earlier car ran a little rough when i moved it but was running

Old 05-21-2009, 10:03 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

ok for a start dump a little gas in the carb. 1/2 a shot glass. if it starts its a fuel problem. water in fuel, plugged fuel filter, bad fuel pump, stuck float valve in carb, clogged pick up in gas tank or blockage in fuel line. it will die right away.

Old 05-22-2009, 02:52 PM
1st Gear Member

ok i just checked and i am getting fuel to carb. but i would like to see if i am getting eanough preasure. so does any of you know what preassure the stock in-tank pump should be putting out.

Old 05-22-2009, 03:03 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

It's important to know what type of fuel pump/delivery setup you have. You're going to have to do a little searching.
Originally, your car had an electric in-tank pump, which would be putting out too much pressure for the needle & seat in the carb to handle. One of four things may have been done:
1) The electric pump was removed and you have a mechanical (on the block) fuel pump.
2) The electric pump was kept in the tank and an in-line fuel pressure regulator was installed before the carb.
3) A mechanical pump was installed, and the electric pump is still in the tank causing a restriction in flow from the tank.
4) The carb was hooked up being fed directly by the electric pump making it flood out.

Old 05-22-2009, 03:10 PM
1st Gear Member

it has the factory in-tank pump with an inline regulator mounted juts before the carb

Old 05-22-2009, 04:02 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Smile

Originally Posted by bd92rs
it has the factory in-tank pump with an inline regulator mounted juts before the carb

Funny thing: On my 1992 camaro. I have it totally remodified. I still have and use the in-tank electric fuel pump (stock equipment) that goes through an inline fuel filter (stock equipment) to a mechanical fuel pump on the passenger side of the engine, up to a fuel regulator by spectre and is set on 5.5 psi. Then gets to the carb. It sounds rediculous, but it runs really well, clean and I never have had a problem with fuel return and delivery since I restored the car.

Quick Reply: won't start