Wiring Help

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 08:51 PM
Default RE: Wiring Help

I will get behind the dash this weekend. Don't have time during the week but Saturday I should have time.

Old 12-07-2007, 01:41 AM
Overdrive Member

ORIGINAL: Camaro 69

As long as YOU think so then, r85!! The simple point I was TRYING to make before somebody started splitting hairs, [&:] is that a bad ground won't cause a fuse to blow, but a grounded out hot lead does. The function of a ground is to complete a circuit, without which, the power won't travel to it's destination.
Only with DC current, AC current you don't need that ground...............I'm sorry I wanted to get in on this argument.

Old 12-07-2007, 12:12 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

ORIGINAL: MadMikeZ28
Only with DC current, AC current you don't need that ground...............I'm sorry I wanted to get in on this argument.
There's a wise guy in every crowd! Slight change of subject, eh?
With AC current (home wiring) it's a "common" wire (usually white) that is needed to complete the circuit. Without a "common", the power still won't flow. Some people mistakenly refer to the common line as a ground. For AC wiring, the ground (either traveling through a ground wire or the metal casing) is what trips the circuit breaker should there be a hot wire that shorts out.
Now back to the problem at hand, I still think that haxmire has a hacked wire flopping around under the dash.

Old 12-07-2007, 01:03 PM
Overdrive Member

With AC current (home wiring) it's a "common" wire (usually white) that is needed to complete the circuit. Without a "common", the power still won't flow. Some people mistakenly refer to the common line as a ground. For AC wiring, the ground (either traveling through a ground wire or the metal casing) is what trips the circuit breaker should there be a hot wire that shorts out.
Now back to the problem at hand, I still think that haxmire has a hacked wire flopping around under the dash.
My house was built in 1959. There were no grounded outlets then but I still have cicuit breakers. Too much current flowing from say too many objects plugged into the outlet, or microwave and A/C on the same circuit running at the same time will kick the circuit breaker. The items do not have to be shorted.
The same could be said about DC. Too many objects drawing too much current will blow a fuse. But since he tried a larger fuse and assuming he does not have items other than what was factory installed on that fuse I would agree that there is a wire or plug or an internal short in what ever items that fuse powers.

Old 12-07-2007, 01:05 PM
Overdrive Member

And I am PROUD OF IT!

Old 12-08-2007, 12:58 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Mike, that's also why a house with old outdated wiring would be more likely to have an electrical fire. True, an overload can pop a modern day circuit breaker,as well as an overcrowded screw in fuse system. But, since older homes like yours don't have a grounding system, a short in the wiring can cause a fire at the source instead of popping the breaker/fuse. I get the feeling this post has strayed a tad from the original subject? Your comment also got me thinking...I wonder if haxmire was trying to use a microwave in his car too?