Wiring Help

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 11:36 PM
Default Wiring Help

Alright I am trying to figure out what could be causing one of my fuses to blow.

Everytime I launch hard or break the tires loose my "Gauges" fuse blows. My tach goes out and either gets stuck all the way up or down on the dial. Then the choke light comes on. (im assuming it has to do with the wiring cause the engine keeps running fine) The emergency brake light messes with the tach and will cause it to move up and down when I pull it. Also the voltage meter goes out.

I am trying to figure out where this short could be. In the dash or else where. If anyone has had this problem or could think of anything I should try that would be great.

Old 12-05-2007, 09:20 AM
2nd Gear member
Default RE: Wiring Help

it might be a bad grouond somewhere. check all the grounds you can find. if that doesnt work put a slightly bigger fuse in.

Old 12-05-2007, 12:33 PM

It is suposed to be a 10 but I have put a 20 in and they still blow. So something must be really wrong?

Old 12-05-2007, 01:37 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

I don't see how it could be a bad ground? A bad ground will cause things to not work. A shorting out hot wire is what would be blowing a fuse. To me it sounds like you have a bare wire somewhere, or one that the casing has worn/rubbed through and it's touching to metal. Get your head under the dash and start looking around for bare wires.

Old 12-05-2007, 09:30 PM
Overdrive Member

Put a fuse in and power up everything and move the harnesses around until it blows. Easy way to possibly pinpoint where the bad wire or connection is. Also get yourself a diagram and check the circuits that fuse powers. Autozone.com may have one in the repair section. Installing a bigger fuse is NOT a fix and could do more harm.

Old 12-05-2007, 10:34 PM
2nd Gear member

ORIGINAL: Camaro 69

I don't see how it could be a bad ground? A bad ground will cause things to not work. A shorting out hot wire is what would be blowing a fuse. To me it sounds like you have a bare wire somewhere, or one that the casing has worn/rubbed through and it's touching to metal. Get your head under the dash and start looking around for bare wires.

not true. i had a bad ground from my battery to my fender and it caused my lights to always stay on no matter what then my engine would sputter. i cleaned up the connection and put on a new cable and everything was fine.

Old 12-06-2007, 02:10 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

ORIGINAL: Camaro 69
ORIGINAL: rockin85
not true. i had a bad ground from my battery to my fender and it caused my lights to always stay on no matter what then my engine would sputter. i cleaned up the connection and put on a new cable and everything was fine.
So, what you're saying is your headlights didn't work correctly, and your engine didn't run correctly until you fixed the ground?That actually supports my answer, doesn't it?

Old 12-06-2007, 11:17 AM
2nd Gear member

ORIGINAL: haxmire

Alright I am trying to figure out what could be causing one of my fuses to blow.

Everytime I launch hard or break the tires loose my "Gauges" fuse blows. My tach goes out and either gets stuck all the way up or down on the dial. Then the choke light comes on. (im assuming it has to do with the wiring cause the engine keeps running fine) The emergency brake light messes with the tach and will cause it to move up and down when I pull it. Also the voltage meter goes out.

I am trying to figure out where this short could be. In the dash or else where. If anyone has had this problem or could think of anything I should try that would be great.
im not trying to be an *** but these are signs of a bad groundand if you think im wrong dont go correcting me cuz i like think im right.

Old 12-06-2007, 11:39 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

As long as YOU think so then, r85!! The simple point I was TRYING to make before somebody started splitting hairs, [&:] is that a bad ground won't cause a fuse to blow, but a grounded out hot lead does. The function of a ground is to complete a circuit, without which, the power won't travel to it's destination.

Old 12-06-2007, 08:45 PM
2nd Gear member

ya know what we just completely whored up this thread between the 2 of us. we should start trying to figure out why haxmire is having this gay situation. i say just rip out the dash and find a ****ty looking wire and replace it. that should fix yourproblem.

Quick Reply: Wiring Help