Will it fit?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 02:01 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Will it fit?

I'm a new owner of a used 88 2.8L v6 camaro and have heard that the stock engine is very unreliable and crappy. I would really like to put a 2001 camaro engine in it. but i need to know what my options are. id like to stick with a cheverolet product but if performance would increase with a different brand im down with it. can someone give me some info?

Old 10-31-2011, 02:14 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Daevian(IROCZ)
I'm a new owner of a used 88 2.8L v6 camaro and have heard that the stock engine is very unreliable and crappy. I would really like to put a 2001 camaro engine in it. but i need to know what my options are. id like to stick with a cheverolet product but if performance would increase with a different brand im down with it. can someone give me some info?
you mean the 3.8 litre aka 3800 don't you? Or, do you mean the LS1?

Either way you'll need the wiring harness and the computer as well as to be sure that the engine you use has been rebuilt and is in great shape. Why toss in someone else' problem?

I don't know if the 3800 would bolt up to your tranny because I'm unfamilar with the sixers

oh, and much of the newer items are electronic while the older 3rd gen stuff is mechanical so you would need a new instrument cluster and possibly even a new tranny if you wish to take advantage of the new computer

Old 10-31-2011, 02:35 PM
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by torque_is_good
you mean the 3.8 litre aka 3800 don't you? Or, do you mean the LS1?

Either way you'll need the wiring harness and the computer as well as to be sure that the engine you use has been rebuilt and is in great shape. Why toss in someone else' problem?

I don't know if the 3800 would bolt up to your tranny because I'm unfamilar with the sixers

oh, and much of the newer items are electronic while the older 3rd gen stuff is mechanical so you would need a new instrument cluster and possibly even a new tranny if you wish to take advantage of the new computer

Some of this correct, but not all.

I would agree that knowing which engine you want to install would help. 3800, or the LS1? For sure there will be issues such as mounts, mating to the current trans (LS1 will not, nor will any other V8..not sure on the 3800). But, you can retain current gauges as long as the correct sending units are used. There are enough adapters or busings to get the sending unit threads to work with what ever threads will be in the new head/motor. Also, since you would most likely use the entire computer from the donor car, you can take any and all parts. (you will need a donor car).

In the end this sounds like a project not at all worth it unless you are prepared to spend more than you would on say a 2001 camaro.

Old 10-31-2011, 04:07 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

The 2.8 tranny will bolt up the 3800 but the PCM from the 2001 will be looking for a transmission to control. The PCM is connected to most of the electrical systems in the 2001 it is going to be tuff to pull that out of the car you’re going to need it all tuned out of PCM. Since not many people transplant 3800 you are going to have a lot of things to figure out. I think Pontiac bolted a 3800 in the turbo Firebird in 89 so you may be able to find mounts. If you do this project please do a build thread. 3800’s are cheap and so are 3rd gens. I think the 3800 would respond well to the lighter 3rd gen. If someone did a good how to economically do this swap I think it could become common.

LS1 on the other hand are being swapped into everything, there should be all kinds of internet support for that but you better bring bank.

Old 10-31-2011, 11:59 PM
In the Staging Lanes

its not a 3.8. i prob wouldnt wana change the engine if it was that. its jus a 2.8l most people call it the ***** camaro. which is upsetting. my owner manual said my model of car comes stock with either a 2.8 3.8 5.0 or 5.7 liter. mine is definitely the 2.8.

Old 11-01-2011, 12:04 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by Gorn
The 2.8 tranny will bolt up the 3800 but the PCM from the 2001 will be looking for a transmission to control. The PCM is connected to most of the electrical systems in the 2001 it is going to be tuff to pull that out of the car you’re going to need it all tuned out of PCM. Since not many people transplant 3800 you are going to have a lot of things to figure out. I think Pontiac bolted a 3800 in the turbo Firebird in 89 so you may be able to find mounts. If you do this project please do a build thread. 3800’s are cheap and so are 3rd gens. I think the 3800 would respond well to the lighter 3rd gen. If someone did a good how to economically do this swap I think it could become common.

LS1 on the other hand are being swapped into everything, there should be all kinds of internet support for that but you better bring bank.

i really was hoping for an LS1 cuz they're bad bass. but i looked up the price for a new one and i just dont have that kind of money lol. and the place i inquired them about actually said theyre going to be discontinued soon

Old 11-01-2011, 05:22 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

3rd gen Camaro never had a 3800 (3.8) in it. I find it hard to believe that GM would discontinue its Ls1 crate motor. The engines are so popular they are still bring over 2K used.

The 2001 3800 is 200 HP and can get over 30 MPG in the hvy 4th gen. Just about any swap to a Highter tech motor going to be complicated.

Old 11-01-2011, 09:49 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by Gorn
3rd gen Camaro never had a 3800 (3.8) in it. I find it hard to believe that GM would discontinue its Ls1 crate motor. The engines are so popular they are still bring over 2K used.

The 2001 3800 is 200 HP and can get over 30 MPG in the hvy 4th gen. Just about any swap to a Highter tech motor going to be complicated.
i know man the LS series were such great performers but from what the dealership told me a LOT of the series are being discontinued. like the LS1, LS3, and the LS6.