Wheel adapter or spacer for C5 wheels

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 08:32 AM
Default Wheel adapter or spacer for C5 wheels

I am new to this forum as well as 3rd gen camaros. I currently own a 69 RS and I just purchased a 89 RS with a 454 BBC. I don't know a lot about the car at this point other than it should be pretty cool.

My question has to do with putting a set of C5 vette wheels on it. The back wheels went on with no problems and I love the way it looks. The front appears to need a spacer or some sort of wheel adapter. I am sure this has been done thousands of times at this point. Where can I get what I need to make the front wheels work? Thanks in advance!

Old 06-22-2009, 10:05 AM
March 2008 ROTM

You got those wheels to fit in the rear?? Is it a factory rear? IF it is, you should be having all kinds of clearance issues.. None the less. take some pics, im considering the same setup, however i have a 4th gen rear end to stick back there.

As far as the front, i believe you need 2" adapters.. but dont quote me on it. So obviously with that length, you dont want a SPACER, but a full adapter. And with that heavy 454.. i honestly dont know that i would do it at all. Might be better off to just find some nice wheels that you can get fat on the back with and stay about 8 inches wide on the front without spacers. A buddy of mine has the TT2's on his ( the worlds most over done wheel ever) and they look alright i suppose. But thats more a matter of opinion than anything.

Old 06-22-2009, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by 350rs
You got those wheels to fit in the rear?? Is it a factory rear? IF it is, you should be having all kinds of clearance issues.. None the less. take some pics, im considering the same setup, however i have a 4th gen rear end to stick back there.

As far as the front, i believe you need 2" adapters.. but dont quote me on it. So obviously with that length, you dont want a SPACER, but a full adapter. And with that heavy 454.. i honestly dont know that i would do it at all. Might be better off to just find some nice wheels that you can get fat on the back with and stay about 8 inches wide on the front without spacers. A buddy of mine has the TT2's on his ( the worlds most over done wheel ever) and they look alright i suppose. But thats more a matter of opinion than anything.
The rear may have been changed already by the previous owner. I have only had the car for a few days and haven't had enough time learn all of the differences between the years. I hope this helps because I really love the look with these wheels and I want to use them.

Rodney

Attached Thumbnails Wheel adapter or spacer for C5 wheels-dsc01161.jpg   Wheel adapter or spacer for C5 wheels-dsc01162.jpg  
Old 06-22-2009, 01:00 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

I've tried putting 4th gen Camaro wheels (comparable backspacing to the Vette wheels) on a third gen, and it wouldn't work without adapter/spacers. I wonder too if your car has a 4th gen rearend?
For the front, I wouldn't be too concerned with using an adapter, unless you plan on road racing the car. I've used them before on a front wheel drive Monte Carlo, which I'll bet is more nose heavy than your Camaro. I found a well made set of billet aluminum adapters on ebay, sold by the manufacturer made in the good old USA. Get the good ones that are hub-centric and car specific, meaning the center hub opening on the adapter fits snugly on the axle hub flange. Cheaper ones rely on the taper of the lug nuts to keep it aligned and in place.

Old 06-22-2009, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
I've tried putting 4th gen Camaro wheels (comparable backspacing to the Vette wheels) on a third gen, and it wouldn't work without adapter/spacers. I wonder too if your car has a 4th gen rearend?
For the front, I wouldn't be too concerned with using an adapter, unless you plan on road racing the car. I've used them before on a front wheel drive Monte Carlo, which I'll bet is more nose heavy than your Camaro. I found a well made set of billet aluminum adapters on ebay, sold by the manufacturer made in the good old USA. Get the good ones that are hub-centric and car specific, meaning the center hub opening on the adapter fits snugly on the axle hub flange. Cheaper ones rely on the taper of the lug nuts to keep it aligned and in place.
Do you have link to company who made yours? I really like the looks of the wheels on this car,Thanks!

Old 06-22-2009, 07:08 PM
March 2008 ROTM

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
i wouldnt be as concerned with a small block ( since im doin it..) but a big block is a bit more heavy. Not sayin your wrong by any means, as your a good bit more knowledgeable about this than i, but it just seems like it would be askin for trouble. Espically with rough roads and speed bumps.

Replace the lugs either way though, with good high quality replacements.

Old 06-22-2009, 07:09 PM
March 2008 ROTM

Originally Posted by rockoosi1
The rear may have been changed already by the previous owner. I have only had the car for a few days and haven't had enough time learn all of the differences between the years. I hope this helps because I really love the look with these wheels and I want to use them.

Rodney
looks awesome man. got any more pics of the car? that thing looks great!!

BTW, lookin at the position of that caliper and the fact that it looks like it has a 2 part setup ( not a one part like the front, idk the names off the top of my head), i would say its a 4th gen rear. Look at the caliper itself and see if the parking brake uses the caliper or a drum style setup inside the middle of the rotor. That will tell you what ya got.

Last edited by 350rs; 06-22-2009 at 07:11 PM.
Old 06-22-2009, 08:01 PM
August 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I wouldn't worry about using wheel adapters. People use them on wheeling rigs like Jeeps all the time and other things break before they do.

Old 06-22-2009, 08:49 PM

So does anybody know exactly what I need to get and where to get it to make it work? I could swear I saw a picture of a car on this forum.

Rodney

Old 06-22-2009, 09:16 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Not the vendor I got mine from, but this is what I'm talking about. This is for a set of four, but I'm sure you'll be able to buy only two from this guy. The ones I got also came with special lug nuts to bolt to the axle. I'll keep looking.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT

Quick Reply: Wheel adapter or spacer for C5 wheels