what is this?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2009 | 08:43 PM
|
In the Staging Lanes
Question what is this?

First off this pic is from Camaro 69s thread (hope you don't mind me borrowing it for a sec) I was wondering what this was I circled in red, I was wondering if i could remove it from my engine because its completely in the way all the time.

Attached Thumbnails what is this?-engine.jpg  
Old 05-11-2009 | 09:23 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Looks like vaccum or EGR.

Old 05-11-2009 | 09:25 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

I can tell you since that was my car. It's all part of your interior heating system. There's a supply hose from the radiator, supply and return hoses from the heater core, and that plastic module is a control valve. You only need that stuff if you plan on keeping your heat. It's a real stupid setup as far as I'm concerned. There is a way of re-routing all the hoses and tucking the control valve up out of the way on the passenger side inner fender. I never got to that before selling the car though.
BTW, the chrome breather you see at the left is one I had laying around that I stuck into the breather hose that was originally connected to the stock air cleaner. It was only temporary until I picked up the right sized push-in style breather for the valve cover.

Old 05-11-2009 | 11:29 PM
1st Gear Member

Jeez, you can barely fit that wing nut to the stud, is there somewhere we can buy a longer stud since I want to put a 14x4 air filter?

Old 05-11-2009 | 11:38 PM
|
In the Staging Lanes

ok so if i take that whole setup off it wont affect the runnability of the engine? i already took the air conditioning out, and if thats just for interior heat im gonna take it out too, i just never use heat or a/c, never have, i either wear a jacket or roll down the window, thats my style. lol

Old 05-12-2009 | 11:19 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

You can remove where it all connects to the heater core and use one heater hose to form a by-pass loop from the radiator to the engine.

Old 05-12-2009 | 12:04 PM
|
In the Staging Lanes

alright thanks for the info man