Welded differential

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 09:20 PM
Default Welded differential

so i drift my camaro it is a 85 berlinetta sport coupe with the 2.8 and 700R4 trans. if you want to drift you need equal power to the wheels. so what you do is weld the differential. what i want to know is does anyone else drift there camaro, has anyone else welded the diff, does anyone have a posi unit in there v6 and how well does it work? For me oh my gosh i dont know how i lived without it.

Old 04-11-2009, 11:41 PM
1st Gear Member
Location: IN, or hell whichever, wait, its too cold to be hell

well, I have heard that no matter how good you weld the diff it doesnt hold up. on top of that going by the specs on your car:

bhp 135 @ 5100 torque 165 @ 3600

I dont think you are gonna have what it takes to break traction for drifting. I could be wrong though. I really dont know much about drifting.

Old 04-12-2009, 12:16 AM
August 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

He can drift in it. Is it going to be a monster? No. I was drifting today in my Jeep (serious drifting, not just whipping around a corner.)

Old 04-12-2009, 12:00 PM

well it will drift its different than lets say the car i will be getting is the 240sx s13 but this is all i have until i sell my camaro when school is out. The car has a lot of body roll and a lot of understeer. so i need my ebrake to work better but dont know how to fix that. some say i even get one of the front tires off the ground, its very fun though. and by drifting i dont mean power sliding like around a corner i mean like real drifting in competitions. you may see a few pics on driftutah.com or on my flickr page http://www.flickr.com/photos/26064910n022447406621/ unfortunately i cannot upload all of them because i have a free account on flickr as for it not holding up yes that is somewhat true. where most diffs have a big open window on both sides of the diff you are able to weld the spider gear meshes and the flat parts of the gears were the bearing surface is. but on the camaro diff for some reason there is one open big window then a little one inch long window on the other side so the first time we welded just the gears we could see. but a couple weeks later it was a completely open diff i was lucky it didnt blow up. i think the welds were not hot enough but im not sure. the second time we welded it as we did the first time then i built a plate of quarter inch steel and cut teeth into all four edges so it would mesh in the gears so we welded that in there on top of it. i highly doubt it will come apart again. when it rains i have so much fun. i am still waiting for snow though but i dont think i will get it

Last edited by 85DriftMaro; 04-12-2009 at 12:14 PM.
Old 04-12-2009, 09:42 PM
Default it'll drift

I know for a fact it will drift i did a 70 chevelle that thing couldnt turn with out wheel spin(not real street friendly) the right way to do it is just as desribed keep the welds on spider/sun gear mesh if you leave the diff. in housing carefully TACK first side through large window. then remove center pin u can then rotate the internals put pin back in. (keeps the heat from pulling and the pin wont go back in) weld back side of gears pull pin back out rotate back to the tacked side put pin back in and finish the front. This is strong as your gunna get it

Old 04-14-2009, 11:19 AM

well when you weld ur diff it causes ur tires to scrub and makes it hard to steer. also when you weld ur diff it tend to put pressure on ur ring and pinion gear, causing major axel damage. Its like 500 for the whole posi differential and it is way better and way smoother. To keep your car sideways ur going to need to boost the HP to atleast 200 or more. so maybe get a mild cam just to get enough to stay sideways

Old 04-14-2009, 12:44 PM
2nd Gear member

theres other ways to weld a diff that hold up extremely well. well the ring/pinion can stressed as metioned before but i garuntee you this way of welding it wont break. it takes lead tho. and a pretty good amount of it. you pull the carrier out plug up the hole on the back side. melt the lead down in something you will neve use to cook again then you pour it into the spider gears and fill it up. i know several ppl who have done this with their yj's and it works great