Waking up a sleeping 5.7

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 12:58 AM
Default Waking up a sleeping 5.7

Hi All,

I am trying to wake up a 5.7 after 3 years of storage. Is there anything I should know about the electronics to make this happen? I am wondering if the motor has been out of power (battery) for some time, if there may be some type of reset to get her running?

I know the rules about checking all the fluids and making sure she is not locked up, just wondering if I am missing something simple before I start into the project.

Thanks.

MS

Old 06-03-2010, 01:30 AM
In the Staging Lanes

I would just make sure the fluids are topped off and put a battery to it. Start it drive it for about a thousand mile being easy on it to get the seals all back into working order. Then change the oil and have fun.

Old 06-03-2010, 02:42 PM
In the Staging Lanes

for the economic cost and piece of mind, getting new battery cables would definitely take the guess work out of not having enough juice to the starter. New Rotor and cap and take the alternator to Autozone or somewhere they can do a quick test. I'm guessing it's TPI so turning the key with a code reader plugged in to make sure something lights up on it. Hear for the fuel pump running too. Take a good srong battery. Good luck

Old 06-03-2010, 07:30 PM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

are you simply asking what else to do, or have you attempted starting it with no luck? most likely the gas is bad by now, so i would drain that first before doing much of anything else

Old 06-03-2010, 09:27 PM
Y2K
4th Gear Member

It would be a good idea IMHO to soak the cylinders and valves and lifters and any other moving parts you can for a couple days with Diesel or Kero especially if you live in a wet climate like I do.
Even in a garage condensation can get to the rings and other parts forming rust,a good diesel soaking will dissolve the rust,loosen up stuck rings and valves or lifters and can prevent damage on start up.

Old 06-04-2010, 12:15 AM
August 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

What Y2K said is good advice, but I wouldn't be too worried about it. Hell I fired up a 66 Mustang that had been sitting for 27 years last summer. Put a battery in it and poured a little gas down the carb and she fired up and idled with the first flick of the key.

Of course after it ran for a few seconds I had to replace the entire cooling system, changed the oil and transmission fluid, completely replaced the braking system, new gas tank and fuel pump, and new ignition parts.

Old 06-04-2010, 12:41 PM
Y2K
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jr. Mechanic
What Y2K said is good advice, but I wouldn't be too worried about it. Hell I fired up a 66 Mustang that had been sitting for 27 years last summer. Put a battery in it and poured a little gas down the carb and she fired up and idled with the first flick of the key.

Of course after it ran for a few seconds I had to replace the entire cooling system, changed the oil and transmission fluid, completely replaced the braking system, new gas tank and fuel pump, and new ignition parts.

Well sometimes you get lucky but if a ring or lifter sticks it can ruin your whole day.
I've seen motors that would turn ok with a wrench fire up and then have a lifter stick and bust a cam or a valve stick and hole a piston so you takes yer chances if you don't get it loosened up first.
Just my 2cts.

Old 06-04-2010, 12:51 PM
August 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by Y2K
Well sometimes you get lucky but if a ring or lifter sticks it can ruin your whole day.
I've seen motors that would turn ok with a wrench fire up and then have a lifter stick and bust a cam or a valve stick and hole a piston so you takes yer chances if you don't get it loosened up first.
Just my 2cts.
I completely agree! This was under the assumption I was going to have to pull the motor and rebuild it anyways. Much to my surprise it ran great, even the carb was still tuned and performing like it should.

Old 06-04-2010, 11:40 PM

Hi All, thanks for the feedback, I really appreciate the on-line community.

Here's the story, I am looking to buy this car from a seller who bought it 3 years ago with ambitions to supe it up. He put it in the garage and got off track and did not touch it again. The story checks out, the car apears to be a survivior and in original condition. Not mint, but stock and with low miles (under 80K).

Anyway, the seller does not want to do anything, just unload it as is. I am not a mechanic, however I can do basic things like water pumps, altenators, hoses and so forth. The seller says it will not start and he thinks it is the fuel pump becuase if he sprays some starter fluid it will fire up. As a boat owner, I hate to hear about starter fluid, its like having your heart re-started with the paddles. My original question was to check and see if there is some type of computer reset since its been sitting, I am thinking not now.

I have been burned too many times over the years buying things that did not run thinking it was simple. Maybe its a fuel pump, maybe bad gas, maybe not.....maybe its blown. I offered the seller a deal, I will pay for the shop inspection/towing and estimate to get it back on the road. If he is OK with this, he has nothing to hide and everyone will feel good with the deal.

I focused in on this car because it was a 91 5.7 TPI and know that the seemingly low cost power upgrades offered when new usually pay off in the longrun.

Thanks again, I was checking to see if I was missing something.

MS