tranny issue?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 05:37 PM
BackseatBob
Default tranny issue?

OK, just got home my newly bought '82 Camaro (thought it was Berlinetta but is just the Sport Coupe with Berlinetta front clip) and it has a couple issues that need fixing. Wait, only one. The car lurches forward randomly at any speed above 35mph, and at about 60 it does it every 2 seconds, and really hard too. I've fixed the bad carburetor problem, and it was low on tranny fluid but it still lurches. What the heck could it be? I thought it felt like the converter locking randomly, Pep Boys did a crappy job of putting that motor in so I wouldn't be surprised if they screwed up the tranny too.It's that or back-firing because of a bad head or whatever but it doesn't pop or anything and doesn't seem to have anything to do with rpm, just engine speed. Help!

Old 12-19-2008, 01:13 AM
Third Generation Moderator
March 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club
Default RE: tranny issue?

Could be a tank of bad gas- I had that issue with mine awhile back. Almost ironically, I bought that gas in a town that was hosting a car show.

I'm not gonna pretend like I know anything but it's the first thing I thought of.

Old 12-19-2008, 04:27 PM
BackseatBob

I just got fresh gas in it today. It's still doing the same thing, it turned out that some spark plug wiresweren't on right but I took it out again and it still does it. I'm thinking of tearing off that damn fuel filter they have on it to see if maybe that's it... I'll give that a shot and see. It lurches forward (as if it were a manual tranny shifting slowly) and the revs get lower and lower until it dies.

Old 12-19-2008, 07:46 PM
2nd Gear member

Well, if this helps. When 2stroke dirtbikes arnt getting enough gas to the carburator, it will rapidly lurch forward as it trys to suck gas in. So maybe something is cloged in you fuel filter like you said.

If that helps, then good luck.

Old 12-19-2008, 09:33 PM
BackseatBob

OK, I checked the fuel filter and the gas was like, chocolate milk. SOOO, I replaced the filter and cleared out the bad gas and tried it... still doing it.[>:]It'll do it between 3500-4000 rpm depending on how far down the pedal is, and the exhaust is surging so it's looking like it's a burned valve.... I'l going to make sure the firing order and everything is right before anything, and then I'll do a compression test and find out. Maybe I'll build a super 305, eh?

Old 12-20-2008, 01:16 AM
March 2008 ROTM

wait, you said some of the plug wires werent on right? check those plugs and make sure they arent fouled out. it will do that if its not fireing correctly, especially if its more than one cylinder.

Old 12-20-2008, 12:15 PM
BackseatBob

I pulled 3 of the plugs and checked em yesterday and they looked good, today I'm going to check the firing order and pull all the plugs for a compression test. I'm hoping I wont have to rebuild it because I'm still working on my truck's motor build, but if I do I'll prolly do a stock rebuild for the moment... I'll let you guys know how the plugs and everything are.

Old 12-20-2008, 04:31 PM
BackseatBob

Dammit... OK, I haven't gotten to the compression test yet because I've been checking everything else. Two spark plugs were fouled HORRIBLY so I replaced those but to no avail. I checked the distributor to see if it was moving freely, and it's a new distributer. I checked the firing order and it was good, but my brother claims there is an alternate firing order for some 305s. I figured it was worth a shot asking because when I put the dist. back on, I had two plug wires mixed up and it was doing it a LOT sooner. Another thing to note, if you shift while it's doing the choking, the motor revs just steadily go down until you completely let off of the gas pedal. So, any ideas for the other 305 firing order?

Old 12-20-2008, 04:41 PM
2nd Gear member

Theres only one firing order that works on my 87 305. I tryed a differnt one i saw, and it dident work.. at all. I go buy this order> http://www.boxwrench.net/specs/chevy_sb.htm

Old 12-20-2008, 04:56 PM
BackseatBob

Yep, that's what I've got too. Well, I've ruled out all other options so it's gonna be a valve or something then... I'm off to do a compression test. If the compression is good then I'm going to just replace the heads. If it's bad, then a rebuild will be in order after my truck motor... or I'll just pop my current motor in the Camaro and use it, while my truck gets the 383...

Quick Reply: tranny issue?