t-tops leaking...

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 01:37 AM
1st Gear Member
Default t-tops leaking...

T top is leaking on my baby. Looking at it, I was about to replace the seals, when someone pointed out to me the most obvious thing was missing. On the tops there is a little strip of rubber that is actually on the top itself that covers the weatherstripping. It's completely missing on the side that leaks. Looking as to why it leaked, it seems that the stripping has a very small spot (quarter of an inch maybe) where the strips dont meet up. I havn't fully checked it it's like that on the other side, but even if it did, that strip that covers the stripping would theoretically let water run off and avoid that gap between. On the side that leaks, obviously without that there, there is a very tiny spot where water can leak in. Terrible.

Anyone know if it's possible to just buy the strip in question that's missing without buying an entire t-top seal replacement kit? I may do it anyway just to be sure it's all in good condition, but if that strip will make the difference and it isnt too expensive I may just try that first.

For the record, the kit I found is http://www.hawksthirdgenparts.com/in...mp;ProdID=1590

Thanks.

Old 05-09-2008, 10:10 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default RE: t-tops leaking...

my t-top leaks to but i'm not paying over $200 for a replacement seals, thats stupid and ridiculous.

Old 05-09-2008, 03:34 PM
Overdrive Member

Holy Flurkin Schnit!!! That seal kit is expensive. You could find a single t-top cheaper or even a set used for less. Check Craigslist.org listings in your area.

Old 05-09-2008, 05:56 PM
1st Gear Member

everyone ive ever knon to have a t top tell me they leak. go's with the teritory.

Old 05-09-2008, 07:00 PM
Overdrive Member

Knocking on wood... Mine do not leak! woohoo But the wind hitting the edge makes a lot of noise

Old 05-09-2008, 08:50 PM
1st Gear Member

well I know they all have a tendency to leak, however... if you look at the seals closely, it's kinda clear why. On both sides there is a small gap (eraser head size at most) that you can see that will let air/water in. Be it just mine are that worn and that exists now, or that being the intended way of the stripping meeting up... but mine would be protected IF it had that piece of rubber that is attached to the t-top that covers it and protects it.

it's missing on my drivers side, so now I need to find a quick and easy way to make a replacement for that.

Old 05-10-2008, 02:00 PM
1st Gear Member

mine has brand new seals and the gap your talking about is still present.
i get an occasional drip in the rain but automatic car washes are out of the question.
learned that the hard way.
just keep a small towel in the back seat. thats the cheapest/easiest solution.

Old 05-11-2008, 01:50 AM

i have a 91 rs with t-tops and mine dont leak yet that i know of but check out year one and go through the online catolog and the seals are in there on page 236 hope that helps out and good luck with the leak

Old 05-11-2008, 06:43 PM
3rd Gear Member

Last winter when I was restoring my Camaro I decided to replace the seals. I thik I paid around 150 on Ebay for the seals. Let me tell you, the job was a friggen nightmare. The old seals were held in place with something akin to concrete [:@], it took me a solid week of 3 hrs a night to scape it all out. Had I known how bad it was going to be, Id have left the old ones in. Mine still leaks a drop here and there, and I dont DARE take it to a auto car wash......

Old 05-16-2008, 12:01 PM

Mine dont leak because I dont drive it in the rain!

Quick Reply: t-tops leaking...