T-top problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2008, 02:30 PM
1st Gear Member
Default T-top problem

Well i have a 89 rs with t-tops that are cracked and i got another set from a 87 iroc and the 87 t-tops wont lock in the locking mec. is juss smaller at the end and i was wondering if anyone alse has ever had this problem before.
i was thinking all i would have to do is switch the lock mec. but i cant cuz the size of the post that comes out is smaller then the ones that were in my 89 originally.

HELP would be very apperceated!!

Old 04-26-2008, 04:43 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner
Default RE: T-top problem

Yes, there are two different kinds as you found out...large pin and small pin. Small was in earlier models. Don't know the cut off year but it's obviously close to the years you're playing with. Hopefully you can just change your front and rear pin guides to the older style. Here are some that I found on ebay. I would pop off the interior trim on your car and compare yours to these.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...38273&rd=1
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...48811&rd=1

Old 04-26-2008, 05:49 PM
Overdrive Member

The two different ones I have come across are the early with just a small steel pin and later, like on my 91 with a larger plastic pin. Now the large plasitc pin is spring loaded around the small steel pin. What I have seen once before is some one had one of each on their car. I think how it worked for them was theirs was the small pin and when they put the top on with the large spring loaded one the spring loaded plastic just stayed in while only the steel pin came out and locked in.

Old 04-26-2008, 06:12 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

I just looked at my 91's tops, didn't know the outer portion pushed in. It appears the big pin tops are a "one size fits all". He would still need the small pin receivers though.

Old 04-26-2008, 06:50 PM
Overdrive Member

Ok I just reread his post and it stated the 87 top he got was "smaller" than his 89. I got dizzy reading it the first time. [8D]
Maybe the pins can be swapped and the SMC bracket can be drilled out to fit it in the replacement.

Old 04-26-2008, 10:26 PM
1st Gear Member

well i went and removed the interior back so i could see the pin receivers and i just ajusted them so i could get the small pins in for now because they did not fit before so now i have the 87 t-top in but i still am going to buy the smaller pin receiver so it fits correctly. and i think my problem is solved unless they start leaking.

But.. i have another problem
i dont have a key for the 87 tops n i want to switch out the lock assembly with the locks from my ooriginal 89 tops but again the pins are differnt sizes because theres a little rubber gromet on the end of the pin. any ideas?

P.S. Sorry if i confuse by the way i describe it.

Old 04-27-2008, 12:58 AM
Overdrive Member

I am lost again![&o]
The lock is just a lock though. It just turns a tab that moves in the way of the levers so it can not be moved. Did you take the t-top's trim panel off and look at them?

Old 04-27-2008, 08:56 AM
August 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

You guys know theres another style too, right? I believe it is the 82-86's that had the hook latching mechanism, not the pin. Sorry to add to the confusion, but just thought I would throw that in there

Old 04-27-2008, 05:54 PM
1st Gear Member

ok ok ok ok ok, ok ok, ok ok...ok, just take all the stuff off the 87's ttop glass and swap it with the 89 ttop glass? wait...you have both of the set of ttops...AHHH...what? i dont get it...just sell me the ones with the small pins and end your confusion..

Old 04-27-2008, 06:05 PM
In the Staging Lanes

hey jr mechanic...i have an 89 rs and i have the hook latch t-tops. I dont even lock mine because they latch into place.

Quick Reply: T-top problem