switching from tbi to tpi

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2006, 03:54 PM
Default switching from tbi to tpi

how hard would it be to switch everything over from a tbi to a tpi in a 1989 rs 305tbi. and what would i have to go through to reprogram the computer, or would i just need to go to junkyard to swipe one that has a tpi. also how much do you think this project would cost me. thank you for your help

Old 12-21-2006, 09:17 PM
March 2008 ROTM
Default RE: switching from tbi to tpi

ive been looking to do this exact same thing in the same car. only i have a 350 now. Youll have to switch your fuel pumps. All the obvious mechanicals, new wireing harness, distributor,and just buy a computer off ebay or something, its cheaper and easier than having it reprogrammed. All and all, if you buy a GOOD TPI, even at a deal, about 500 bucks even for just the unit itself. That harness alone is several hundered dollars new... its a rather large project in my opinion. Also, in my opinion, not worth it.

Old 12-21-2006, 11:08 PM
Tech Droid

Why do you want to do this. It is really a lot of work for what you'll get.

Old 12-22-2006, 01:50 AM
2nd Gear member

Honestly, you'd get more benefit for fixing up the TBI. TPI is over rated.

Old 12-22-2006, 04:32 AM
Overdrive Member

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...p;autoview=sku
As long as you dont have to keep it smog legal this may work.

Old 12-22-2006, 10:25 PM
In the Staging Lanes

don't be scared it is not that hard i put one on a pre 86 chevy with a carb so if i can do that you can do this. the distrbutors are the same i know this because i work at a parts house. all you need is your five basic sensor to make it run. map/mass, rpm, coolent temp, tps, and o2. the tpi is a bank fire sysrem not a sysquential so that makes it easier. just purcchase those sensors wich you already have and i believe some are the same, and you can get a complete setup off of ebay for about $450 just buy a reamin computor they will run you about $530 and you can do it in a day

Old 12-23-2006, 01:26 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: FlufyTiger

Honestly, you'd get more benefit for fixing up the TBI. TPI is over rated.
TPI isn't overrated, it has the reputation is deserves, great for tq and sucks for HP.

Why would TBI be better? Crossfire is about the only thing worse than TBI. Seriously consider a carb swap instead and look into a 350 if you want more HP. 305's are pointless, you'll spend all that money to be lucky to reach 195RWHP with other bolt-ons included.

Old 12-23-2006, 12:04 PM
3rd Gear Member

for this to a be a camaro forum there is alot of ignorance about the 305. if you have no idea what your talking about ... keep it to yourself. people need bad advice like they need dual asses. Sick

Old 12-23-2006, 12:41 PM
March 2008 ROTM

this is true, the 305 isnt a bad motor if you can put time and money into it, same rule applies to the TBI. Ive been told about boreing out the TBI and intake. Maybe look into that? Check out my post "TBI to carb" there are a few things in there i may do if i decide not to go carb.

Old 12-23-2006, 03:04 PM

Its not that we dont respect people with 305s...or even the motor itself, its a SBC...the only advice that we give is that a 350 is more responsive to mods, you'll see more of a gain with a 350. To get to lets say 300rwhp takes a lot more money and time with a 305, than it would with a 350. Theres no replacement for displacement...a 350 is simply a better platform to build on than a 305.

Not to say that you investing your time and your money into a 305 wasnt smart, it produced a lot of power, but if you had put the same time and money into a 350, you would of produced a lot more power. But thats not for everyone, some people would rather drop a little money and time into the motor thats already in there car (305s) although, some of us, like myself would prefer to build ona platform that will yield more power...

But to each his own...

Quick Reply: switching from tbi to tpi