steering wheel way off

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 01:28 PM
2nd Gear member
Default steering wheel way off

So this "new to us" 90 RS my son has is veering. He kept telling me that it was hard to keep in the road so I drove it yesterday. He wasn't kidding. I noticed the steering wheel isn't straight. Is this an alignment issue? Something else? I need to know what I'm dealing with so I know who to call. I'd like to get it in the shop tomorrow so he's not dealing with it much longer.

Old 09-26-2012, 02:03 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

How far off? Could be alignment but if its drastic its probably something bent. I'd get it to an alignment shop and they can tell you what's up. Goodyear had 4 wheel alignments on special for 60$ up here in Greenville Idk about down there.

Old 09-26-2012, 02:22 PM
2nd Gear member

I'd have to take a picture of it but he's at school right now. I'm not sure in terms of degrees but if you go by a clock and 12 is straight, it would be more like 10 before the wheels are straight. So I need to call a shop that does alignments then?

Old 09-26-2012, 02:23 PM
2nd Gear member

If it's something more expensive then what would I be facing there?

Old 09-26-2012, 02:32 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

You really wouldn't know what you're facing until you have it looked at.
Even something bent means it throws the front end out of alignment.
So the car either needs a simple alignment, or it needs something fixed, and then the alignment.

Old 09-26-2012, 02:39 PM
2nd Gear member

I made appt for in the morning. Just hope it's not expensive. After all, got to get mine back on the road too

Old 09-26-2012, 04:09 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

The fact the car is hard to keep on the road is more important than the fact the wheel is cocked. We refer to the hard to keep on the road as “wondering”. Normally it indicates something is loose. If they offer you a 4 wheel alignment they are screwing you. The Camaro has a solid rear axle and cannot be adjusted. 2 wheel alignment should be less than 40 bucks. I paid $29.99 for mine at a very good shop.

You are really going to need to find a good mechanic you can trust. With a 23 year old car that has been sitting you are going to have a LOT more problems in the next 6 months. This car really needs to be gone over front to back.

Old 09-26-2012, 04:29 PM
2nd Gear member

It's not hard to keep in the road if you dont pay attention to the fact the wheel isn't straight. I have a habit of holding a wheel a certain way and with this car you can't do that. I know it has to be gone through, we have to start somewhere but as for sitting, this car hasn't been sitting. It's been driven daily except for the few weeks that it sat in the evenings for sale. In fact, the being driven so much has me more concerned.

Old 09-26-2012, 10:20 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by budsysmith
90 RS my son has is veering. He kept telling me that it was hard to keep in the road so I drove it yesterday. He wasn't kidding.
The above complaint is a very serious issue, A mis-aligned steering wheel means nothing. It is annoying but all it means is who ever aligned it last forgot to set the steering wheel straight while it was being aligned. Anyone that can not keep a car "in the road" because the steering wheel is not straight should not be driving a car.

Old 09-27-2012, 09:15 AM
2nd Gear member

Its in the air as I write.

Quick Reply: steering wheel way off