someone please help ( exhaust ????? )

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2006, 03:06 PM
Default someone please help ( exhaust ????? )

im hopeing someone can please give me some advice , or pics ect . i have a 1983 camaro z28 , i bought a 350 gm goodwrench motor from my neighbor (who was supposed to do the motor swap ) , well anyhow after having the car for close to a yr i got it back because he had been paid long ago , well my car came back in pieces , i am trying to get my car back on the road after 5 yrs of seeing it sit in the driveway , the main problem is i bought hooker long competition headers and they are on the car now , but every exhaust shop i talk to says you can't run true dual exhaust on my car , and they are to long to y pipe into a single exhaust , is there any way to put true dual's on a 3rd gen camaro or do they sell a exhaust kit that will work on these headers ? all im trying to do is get my car back on the road , any advice or articles , or photos of dual exhaust on my generation car would be greatly appreciated thanks
john

Old 07-06-2006, 03:27 PM
4th Gear Member
Default RE: someone please help ( exhaust ????? )

You Can Not have true dual exhaust with LONG TUBE Headers. It just will not work. One big reason NO ground clearance. If you are determinded just install them and then you will have a undriveable car.
And what is the big deal with true duals??? A good set of 1 3/4 short tube headers and 3' mandrel bend exhaust will support any street motor.[sm=dontgetit.gif]

Old 07-06-2006, 03:41 PM

ok well the only problem is they are on the car ,they were on the car when it came back to me , i do not have acess to any place to remove the long headers , so thats why i was asking .

Old 07-06-2006, 06:36 PM
3rd Gear Member

i beg to differ i have 3" true duals with glasspacks on my 85 IROC with full length headers dumping in front of the rear wheels and i have about 5" ground clearance. the trick is you have to cut the flanges from the headers and weld the exhaust to them. this will give you enough clearance to run the exhaust tightly under the frame. sick

Old 07-06-2006, 06:56 PM
4th Gear Member

Too each his own, but 5" clearance is not for a street daily driver. And I hold to my statement whats the big deal with true duals, not much gained by using them.

Old 07-06-2006, 08:04 PM

i have shorties on mine the shop add the new pipes from the headers back to connect with the cats, where they added the pipes where the bend going to the cats by the front wheel i only have 4" of clearance, if that, and i have not had any problems on the road (YET), but the problem i did run into is i cant get a jack under that side of the car, and he is right there is nothing wrong with having a Y pipe and single back to the muffler, just get a 3" cat back more then enough flow..

Aaron

Old 07-07-2006, 12:10 AM

its not the fact i want duals , the problem is i have these headers on and need to put some kind of exhaust on the car these headers were on my car when i got it back

Old 07-07-2006, 12:55 AM
3rd Gear Member

you have one of three options. put different headers or exhaust manifolds. cut the frame and weld some flat bar to support it, or cut the headers back about 3 or 4 inches and weld the exhaust to them. you may have to find a private welder and buy the exhaust pieces from a muffler shop. sick

Old 07-07-2006, 12:31 PM

ok so i'd probally have to cut them before the collectors right ? , i have a cheap pair of new shorty headers but i dunno how much it would cost to have them switched up , plus the headers on it are hooker headers which im sure are much better than my other option , someone sent me this pic w/ a automatic camaro w/ long headers and dual exhaust

Old 07-07-2006, 06:42 PM

I have an 85 Z28 with a 350 motor swap. It has shorty headers on it. When I got the car it had the headers already done with a "Y" pipe. I took the car to Mieneke Muffler and asked about true duals. They were very abrubt and said they "will not do it!" When asked why the exhaust guy in the bay said it is very hard and would be more money then worth in the long run. He put me in contact with a custom bender exhaust shop. He explained that they sit low and that clearance is a big issue. If I still choose to do it he would certainly do it but the cost for the "Y" back and dual tail pipe out of a Flowmaster would be in the area of $175. Full duals would be upwards of $500.00.

On a side note I had him run from the cat back on my 90 RS with a "Full Boar" muffler and dual tails. $130, out the door.

Quick Reply: someone please help ( exhaust ????? )