Snapped starter bolt has ruined my block!

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2007, 01:45 AM
3rd Gear Member
Default Snapped starter bolt has ruined my block!

SO I was putting the finishing touches on my year long project tonight and went to bolt in the starter...thats when I noticed the hole was all oblong and stripped....and there was a bolt broken off inside. Somebody had tried to drill it out but never centered the bit and only managed to mess it up more....I drilled it and tried an 'easy out' but the threads were so boogered up that she wouldnt budge.All I could do was keep using bigger and bigger bits until the old bolt was gone.Now I have a crooked oversize hole where my starter bolt goes. Im going to NAPA tomorrow for a helicoil and PRAY that it goes in correctly....I know this sounds like a minor thing but the hole is reallyfaq-d up and I dont know if even a thread repair will work because its so off center and oblong.....any suggestions? (its the bolt hole closest to the block...)

Old 04-13-2007, 03:54 AM
Overdrive Member
Default RE: Snapped starter bolt has ruined my block!

Well there are 3 bolt holes. If your fix dont work since it is the inside bolt get a starter that bolts straight across.

Old 04-13-2007, 06:23 PM
1st Gear Member

Blocks not ruined...
helicoils work sometimes, but they also make threaded inserts that have threads on the outside and inside like a regular bolt. You drill and tap the hole to the correct size and put the insert in. http://www.timesert.com/html/inchsert.htmlmost machine shops have access to them.

I've used them a few times on starter bolts before..

If the hole is really out of line, then just use a threaded rod. Drill and tap hole, screw the rod in with loc tight, cut it offflush,then install the starter with the other 2 bolts, then use the started to locate the center of the 3rd hole. then drill and tap the hole. Need good high quality bits/taps and patience...

G

Old 04-13-2007, 06:48 PM
Overdrive Member

There are only two bolts in the starter but three holes in the block for two different starter bolt paterns.

Old 04-13-2007, 06:56 PM
Overdrive Member

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...p;autoview=sku
This starter uses the same holes as his stock one does. Note that they are not staright across from each other

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...p;autoview=sku
This one has them not only straight across to use the other hole found on the block but extra holes for the two differntsizes on the flexplate

Old 04-13-2007, 08:23 PM
3rd Gear Member

THERE IS HOPE! I found out that if I use a longer bolt I can catch anout the last 1/4 inch of good threads! Im off to the Batmobile!

Old 04-13-2007, 09:52 PM
Overdrive Member

Holy .....Stripped holes!
No need for that timesert ad that mysteriously appeared now.

Old 04-13-2007, 11:28 PM
3rd Gear Member

**** **** ****. The hole is too stripped to hold the bolt. And I returned the helicoil set........Im about to give up!

Old 04-14-2007, 01:10 AM
Overdrive Member

Now ya gotta send some one else to pick up the helicoil to save you the embarassment of the razzing you would get.

Old 04-14-2007, 08:57 AM
3rd Gear Member

Im just going to a NAPA across town...............

Quick Reply: Snapped starter bolt has ruined my block!