Hey biznitches, Im baaaaack! Need help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 02:42 PM
3rd Gear Member
Default Hey biznitches, Im baaaaack! Need help!

Hey boys, after months of emailing admin and trying reset my password, I gave up. There was some site trouble months ago and I wasnt able to log in. Nothin worked. Well, I spent the weekend at the Syracuse Nationals and I just HAD to try logging on one last time.....holy cripes it worked. So here I am! Where are all my fans??

OK, so heres my question......my car runs nice and powerful when shes cool. Once shes been running for a while, she gets lethargic. ( I was having predetonation issues but running 93 octane fixed the pinging, again only happened when she was warm- thought it was timing and messed with that for a while...ugh...) I also get some vapor locking when I hammer on her. This stuff only happens when the engine is good and hot. (temp guage is off, but Im assuming over 190*)

So, what should I do to bring the operating temperature down? Extra cooling fan? Coolant additive? Ducting to draw in fresh air?

Didja miss me?

Old 07-19-2009, 02:45 PM
Ninja Administrator

hey.

i didnt see any emails..... good luck w/ ur problem

Old 07-19-2009, 02:46 PM
August 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

STFU Scott, nobody cares about you...

Lol j/p. So if it's vapor locking that means your fuel line is running too close to a heat source. I'm willing to bet the hard line is practically sitting on the passenger side header collector. The best thing to do is re route the fuel line to go from the drivers side, on the engine cradle, then up to the fuel pump.

Old 07-19-2009, 03:04 PM
3rd Gear Member

Wow Jr, I missed you too.....

Specter, I tried emailing admin about my password 2 or 3 times but dont think it ever made it too you. I must have tried to log in for a month with no results!

JR....The fuel line is close but Ive moved it as far from the header as I possibly can and wrapped it in thermal foil. (super tinfoil with foam!)

Will a hood scoop really lower engine cabin temperature? Id hate to booger up my hood and find out it has no effect. Im looking at a Z28 style model on ebay now, rear induction type. Id have to cut some holes in the hood.....friggen fiberglass hood already flexes when I open it.

Old 07-19-2009, 03:23 PM
August 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

There should really be no reason for a hood scoop just to lower under hood temperatures on your car. You have a problem elsewhere, and masking the problem isn't the way to go.

Old 07-19-2009, 03:41 PM
March 2008 ROTM

oh lord.. hes back..

Scott.. Mike has left us. So its basically up to me and Jr there to give you the hell you have been getting for all this time.

Old 07-19-2009, 03:48 PM
August 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Yeah Mike stormed out awhile back... It was really a shame, Mike was uber knowledgeable around these cars and was a pretty cool guy.

Old 07-19-2009, 07:46 PM
3rd Gear Member

Mike left? That SUCKS! What happened?

JR., The problem is excessive heat. Im running cheap headers and the car has always had heat issues. (Im not replacing the exhaust/headers unless I absolutely have too...) I had to go with a high torque starter because of heat draw....then I needed a 1/2" phenolic spacer under the carb because if the car got turned off hot, it would boil off the fuel in the bowl in 5 minutes. Then I addressed some of the vapor lock issues with a smaller fuel filter (i was running a big see thru plastic one.....to big and too much cavitation) so I guess she has always run a bit on the hot side. Not dangerous, just hot. Like I said, she looses a bit of power after she warms up. (not a mixture issue, I actually leaned her back last week and she starts easier now....) I honestly think my engine compartment is one big heat sink and cooking things off. If I could lower the operating temp by 25* I think it would make a huge difference. You think Im way off on this one?

Hey 350rs....suck my left tailpipe! You know u missed me!

Old 07-19-2009, 08:01 PM
March 2008 ROTM

Originally Posted by ScottD
Mike left? That SUCKS! What happened?
we wont get into that one.. If you absolutly must know, i can PM you about it. lol

as far as sucking tailpipe.. is it running while i do this or no? Either way this sounds terrible and i give you a counter offer. I will NOT do that.. thats my only one... lol

Old 07-19-2009, 08:18 PM
Overdrive Member

umm i dont know you but hi