Rodent Problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 03:46 AM
Overdrive Member
Default RE: Rodent Problems

ORIGINAL: justintr1990

damn... i get frustrated way too easy but it looks like im stuck with no choice. now i gotta take my damn cd player out and that was hell getting all the damn wires to fir in but i guess itll be worth not having the smell in the car... Last question... as a last resort, how much do you think it would cost to bring it to a shop and have THEm do it?
Cant answer that question because don't know your areas labor rates. But I thought you were in auto body. Do you work ina shop? Can they not look up that labor for you? Look up the labor on a heater core swap. Its about the same involvement. Dont be scared just do it. You dont take it to a shop to have mouse **** cleaned out!

Old 03-28-2007, 11:06 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Ill tell you now i just had to replace the heater core in my 92 rs so i had to take every single bolt in the dash out to get to it. All you need is basic tools, ratchet set, screwdrivers, etc. i think i took ninety summin screws out of the car and only had like thirty or forty left when i finished so i didnt do too bad.Dont worry its not hard its just time consuming. I took me and a freind 3 nights toreplace the heater core. one taking apart the dash, one replacing the core itself, and one more putting the car back together.

Old 03-28-2007, 01:19 PM

ok so i have to take out the center console... Now does the main part of the dash (not the cover) come out as a big unit? I think since its a nice day, Ill go take it apart when I get home. Now the heater core is under the dash on the passenger side right? What will i want to check and what will the odds of me having to swap out the heater core be? Oh and I dont work in a shop, Im in a voc school still learning. Im more of a painter myself

Old 03-28-2007, 02:57 PM
In the Staging Lanes

ORIGINAL: justintr1990
Now the heater core is under the dash on the passenger side right? What will i want to check and what will the odds of me having to swap out the heater core be?
If I were you I would replace the heater core while you have the dash out, even if it is not leaking. You will already have the hard work done to get to it, and you will kick yourself for not doing it if the core starts leaking in 6 months.

Old 03-28-2007, 06:41 PM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

see if you can find a roto-rooter type tool. a brush on a cable and have it drill spun. just ram it through all the vents with the blower on, then take the blower off, and clean it out in there (or the other way would work better). if you have access to compressed air, that will help. then when youre done, just put a whole lotta lysol or something in there.

Old 03-28-2007, 07:04 PM

This forum kicks *** theres actually people here! thanks for the help. I think ill try and use the air compressor and lysol before i go ahead and and take the dash apart. I tried it with febreze and it worked so the lysol will work fine. One more question if i may. The switch for Vent/defrost etc wont go to anything but defrost. Its like theres something blocking it. What is up with this? I mean, its not really a big deal, but would be nice to fix. once again thanks for all the answers.

Old 03-28-2007, 10:01 PM
Overdrive Member

The switch.
If the lever moves and it has only defrost you need to start at the vacuum source and work your way to the switch. There is also a ball that is a resivour under the hood. Them varments may have chewed on a line. If the switch does not move then you need to take that apart. There is a lever that rotates the selector.
The Stank
TRy taking out the vents and use a coat hanger or those little flex tools that grab and put a rag on it soaked with a cleaner and push it through the vent holes.
Or did you stufff that cat in there like I told you?

Old 03-28-2007, 11:05 PM

The cat got stuck under the dash and died and made the smell worse.... but the lever was like that when I got the car before the mice got in... The lysol is working pretty good. Its just a stall until i actually get the time to take the dash apart. Im also gonna borrow a friends roto rooter too so thats kewl...

Old 03-28-2007, 11:11 PM

oh and with the compressed air, do i just blow it into the vents or some where else? I dont know if this helps or not but if you have the heat on and start the car, the smell is worse. even when you JUST start it. I dont know if that will help find where the source is or not but I thought you might wanna know

Old 03-28-2007, 11:54 PM

i have all the duct work out of my 91 z28 dash that i will not be using since i am making it a track car. all of it is in great shape. If you want to change yours out make me an offer otherwise it will be sitting in my shed.

Quick Reply: Rodent Problems