relearn key

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 04:29 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Unhappy relearn key

my 89 irocz28 will not start. the fuel pump does not energize. i have the vats system. once i read an article about how to relearn the key. does anyone have any ideas. i just replaced the coil and distributor module. the engine cranks but no fuel flow

Old 04-01-2009, 10:19 PM
In the Staging Lanes

If the key is incorrect the VATS system will prevent the engine from even cranking. Sounds like its a problem with the fuel pump wiring or the pump itself.

Old 04-02-2009, 08:01 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default relearn key

the key is correct and the pump. relay, and wiring are new. the car started before i had overhauled the engine. i'm sure it is the vats system but i don't understand how to troubleshoot it.

Old 04-02-2009, 10:47 AM
Tech Droid

The VATS reads the value of the resistor pellet on the key. If the value is correct the VATS module send a signal to the ECM. The ECM then energises the Fuel injectors and brings up the start relay which then sends power to the starter solenoid. If you put a new VATS module in, it will then program itself to the key, but the key will not program itself to the VATS. You can bypass the pellet in the key by wiring the proper value resistor across the leads going to the VATS module.

The fuel pump starts up when you turn the key, but the ECM shuts it down if the engine does not start within a few seconds.

Last edited by z28pete; 04-02-2009 at 10:50 AM.
Old 04-02-2009, 10:18 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default relearn key

thanks, i want to bypass the key, do i solder the resistor between the purple/white and black /white wire. what about the two white wires from the orange sleeve connector, do i leave them alone. my problem is the the motor cranks, fuel reaches the regulator, but i think the injectors don't get the fuel. will the bypass fix this problem.