rant about paid mechanics

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 01:45 AM
2nd Gear member

i would have to go for a 93-97. life is better when your bellhousing bolts to your engine. but yeah. idk. if i see one then yeah ill go ahead and grab it. but if its front end damage more than likely ill just go ahead and fix up the front end. i want a forth gen anyways. and honestly with the things i want to do with my camaro in the future im not really counting on good mileage. i think the muncie would be really cool. but idk.

Old 05-01-2009, 11:56 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by mtn_maro
i would have to go for a 93-97. life is better when your bellhousing bolts to your engine. but yeah. idk. if i see one then yeah ill go ahead and grab it. but if its front end damage more than likely ill just go ahead and fix up the front end. i want a forth gen anyways. and honestly with the things i want to do with my camaro in the future im not really counting on good mileage. i think the muncie would be really cool. but idk.
Yeah, but a 3rd Gen with an LS1 is badass. Good luck man

Old 05-01-2009, 01:37 PM
March 2008 ROTM

the LS style bolt pattern is the same as a standard SBC.. and LS motor just dosent have one of the mount holes drilled and tapped because it would be in the water jacket. if i can fingure out a way to get my scanner working ill scan the article i read that in. Theres a pic of a T-56 off an LS1 bolted up to a gen one SBC. They go into talking about it. ill see what i can do

Old 05-01-2009, 01:59 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 350rs
the LS style bolt pattern is the same as a standard SBC.. and LS motor just dosent have one of the mount holes drilled and tapped because it would be in the water jacket. if i can fingure out a way to get my scanner working ill scan the article i read that in. Theres a pic of a T-56 off an LS1 bolted up to a gen one SBC. They go into talking about it. ill see what i can do
that be great. but a lt1 bellhousing IS the same as a sbc right?

Old 05-01-2009, 03:39 PM
March 2008 ROTM

hm, ya know i was thinkin about it the other way around. they took a auto of some sort from a standard SBC and put it on the LS.. so i dont know if it would be drilled or not. But even if its not, i wouldnt worry too much about one bolt hole, espically where its at.

but yes the LT1 is the same

Old 05-01-2009, 03:47 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 350rs
hm, ya know i was thinkin about it the other way around. they took a auto of some sort from a standard SBC and put it on the LS.. so i dont know if it would be drilled or not. But even if its not, i wouldnt worry too much about one bolt hole, espically where its at.

but yes the LT1 is the same
yeah, hey man i was reading past threads about 4th gen seats in a 3rd gen. Did you ever figure out if you can swap the manuel seat rails from the 3rd gen into the 4th gen since hooking up the power seats to my 89 would be a PITA?

Old 05-01-2009, 07:29 PM
March 2008 ROTM

idk about swapping the rails. but you can just bolt up the seats right out of the 4th gen as is. But i assume you want to get rid of the electric rails for the manual rails? Thats something im not sure of, might be something that you can check out for us though! give it a shot and let us know!!

Old 05-02-2009, 12:42 AM
February 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Hey guys, not wanting to stir the pot here to much but, not all mechanics are crooks. There are good and bad, same with doctors and lawyers. I started wrenching in my twenties and did it for about 12 years. I quit doing it professionally for about 20 years (fleet management job) and am now back at it again in the restoration business. Any mechanic that is worth a damn will tell you that he has seen a good share of shoddy work done by other so-called pros, they are out there. If you take your car in to get repairs, do the research on the mechanic/shop. Find out if they offer any warranty, what training/experience the mechanic has and do NOT let them flash some ASE certificate at you like it means something. The best mechanics I know could care less about ASE and are not certified. Also, what tech school the guy went to doesn't mean crap either, WYO Tech is an idiot factory in my book, I hired two grads that didn't last 3 months.

As far as doing the work your self, more power to you if you do. However, know when to step away and call for experienced help. You can certainly learn a lot from a book or video but when safety is a concern do not take chances with you life or the other cars around you. When you are going into a spin on the four lane is not the time to figure out the new four wheel discs you installed didn't have the correct bias.

Old 05-02-2009, 01:00 AM
2nd Gear member

im not saying all mechanics are crooks. im just saying i hate mechanics who do half-assed work. and as for the knowing when to step away from it thing when it gets to that point i would much prefer to do more research and talk to ppl who have done it before and if needed still get someone who has done it successfully to tutor me and help me along with it. otherwise how will you learn