rant about paid mechanics

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 03:13 PM
2nd Gear member
Angry rant about paid mechanics

this pertains to those crappy mechanics. you know the ones who do their job half-assed. before i got my camaro the guy who owned it before me got the brakes done all the way around. well the mechanic he took it to put new pads and shoes on. great. you would think good brakes cause a pro did it. well the mechanic just looked over the fact that the rotors had very deep grooves in them and were warped. explains the shaking when coming to a stop. however the drums had more issues. both were reassembled wrong which made it very hard to pop the drum off. in addition neither of the drums had any stopping power at all due to the fact that even if they were assembled right the shoes would barely come in contact with the drum. also the wheel cylinders? i think thats the term im looking for. need to be replaced or rebuilt. so i get to buy parts again yay. only bad thing is i want to upgrade the axle to something stronger with disc brakes but i dont have the money for that right now so i get to replace the wheel cylinders just to replace the whole axle =/ oh well. anyways. thats my rant. just wanted to get that out. oh and i was also nice enough to get ahold of the PO and warn him about the mechanic.

Old 04-30-2009, 05:27 PM
1st Gear Member

Theres three different kinds of thieves in this world. Mechanic, lawyers and doctors. If you can learn and find a way to manage to live without the need of one of these professions, you have accomplished alot.

Old 04-30-2009, 11:10 PM
March 2008 ROTM

i have a way to do without all 3..

i do all work that i am physically able to ( no machine work and specialty stuff that i m unable to do)

and i just dont go to doctors unless ive got something broken.

as for the lawyer. i just wont get caught doing my dirty deeds. lol

but as for your problems. I feel ya. Ive got friends who have been HOSED on jobs. Over charged on work that wasnt even done half way right. Some things i help fix for cost of parts if i feel comfortable doing so, but its still a bummer for them, and you.

Old 04-30-2009, 11:44 PM
1st Gear Member

Yeah, before you go TAKE your care to have work done, do research. I watch alot of youtube videos even if the car their working on isnt a camaro. spend a week looking up how to fix. aslong as all you need, as far as tools, can be found in a tool box, it shouldnt hurt to try

Old 04-30-2009, 11:59 PM
2nd Gear member

i do all my own work. its just retarded to have to go a redo the work a previous mechanic was supposed to do. i feel sorry for the previous owner. he takes his car to this guy all the time and im sure he has issues he doesnt know about

Old 05-01-2009, 12:18 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by mtn_maro
i do all my own work. its just retarded to have to go a redo the work a previous mechanic was supposed to do. i feel sorry for the previous owner. he takes his car to this guy all the time and im sure he has issues he doesnt know about
this is exactly why you keep recipts

Old 05-01-2009, 12:23 AM
2nd Gear member

yeah. oh well. i enjoy fixing it myself. just like ill enjoy putting in the 350 with what ever trans i decide to go with next year. then rebuilding a stronger axle and blowing up the axle i have in now and putting the better one in lol

Old 05-01-2009, 12:42 AM
1st Gear Member

yeah. oh well. i enjoy fixing it myself. just like ill enjoy putting in the 350 with what ever trans i decide to go with next year. then rebuilding a stronger axle and blowing up the axle i have in now and putting the better one in lol
go t56, t5 are junk. my t5 is on the edge of suicide and all its ever been bolted to is a 305, dont get me started on the 305. lol

Old 05-01-2009, 12:49 AM
2nd Gear member

not sure about doing the t-56. i might go with an aftermarket 5 speed tranny. but idk. if i can manage it and i get another car to use as a dd then im going to put a muncie rock crusher 4-speed in.

Old 05-01-2009, 01:37 AM
1st Gear Member

not sure about doing the t-56. i might go with an aftermarket 5 speed tranny. but idk. if i can manage it and i get another car to use as a dd then im going to put a muncie rock crusher 4-speed in.
well with a t56 you will get WAY better highway mileage and if you get the 1993 t56 the launch is amazing. The Tremec 5 speed is wayy over priced and to buy one used is going to be impossible since everyone knows their not worth the dough. Do what I was going to do, buy a wrecked 93-02 z-28 with an lt1/ls1 and t-56. take whatever you can from the drivetrain and interior. The car will cost between $500-2000. SOOOOO worth it, espcially if its frontend damage and the radiator/bumper took the impact.

Quick Reply: rant about paid mechanics