Primering??

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 08:11 PM
Default RE: Primering??

If you have never painted a car before then forget about doing it yourself..IT IS A BIG JOB!!!!. As far as Maaco goes,you could try to completely detrimthe car yourself.There is some labor involved, door handles, belt moldings, door moldings, r & i the bumpers. Do wet sand and try to get as much imperfections as you can. Once primer is put on it may hid the small imperfections. Then make sure that you are at the shop when it gets painted and be sure every thing is taped up. I have seen some paint jobs atMaaco, some have come out looking decent. Bear in mind that if you are looking to paint a whole car you could be looking at appr $2000.00 + at other shops due to labor. Paint is paint, the diefference is in the painter. Another option is to check in w/ your local community college, they sometimes have programs where you can offer to lend your car to the school for students to learn, and practise since the teacher is with them they tend to do a good job.Hope this helps...Good Luck

Old 09-25-2007, 09:16 PM
Overdrive Member

ORIGINAL: lighter

I didn't say take it down t othe bare metal, i said down to the first coat and besides you will have bare metal showing when you sand when you have bumps. I said stop and move on if you hit bare metal.

and if you want your bondo to stickbetter then take it down to the metal and bondo the entire area per my reply. if you cover over any bare metal with paint or bondothen no water will reach the metal - no rust
Well after getting to the botom of your post I was so sick. Like the jitter bug with 60 grit. NO freakin way! I use 80 grit to finish off my filler work. 80 leaves to deep of scratches in paint. I feather edge with 180. A jitter bug can make gouges. He would be better off by hand in a circular motion. There is no need to go through the clear if its sticking and will feather back.
Bondo, a crappy filler, will not seal off water (nor will any filler). It along with primer is pourus. The primer not so much as the bondo.
Not trying to slam you just trying to enlighten. One of these days I have a few things I need to do body and paint on personaly and I will make a step by step post. But at the moment I am doing a lot of mechanical.

Old 09-26-2007, 12:59 AM
2nd Gear member

Hey Mike, did you shoot the ole Emron, Sunfire and Nitram paints?Man that was the good ole days when it was so easy and simple eh?

Old 09-26-2007, 06:25 PM
Overdrive Member

Yeah I did Imron and Runfire. Now I did not give it the name runfire. Thats just what I heard. It flowed out nice but did not ever live up to its name that was given to it. I hate Imron. If you want to buff it you have a very small window to sand and rub. Its either too soft to sand and when your ready to rub its too hard.