Over my head!

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 07:56 AM
Default Over my head!

Hello guys/gals. I am new to the forum and new to everything involving my Camaro in general. I bought an 89 Z28 with solid body and good tires, however, most of the wiring is sitting in my back seat and for the most part just the block of the 305. The transmission is there but I just have a few questions. First off, I already know I am way over my head for the knowledge I possess and the work that actually needs to be done. I'm wondering what I should do for an engine? From what I have read on here the 305 is less than ideal for an engine and as it sits I don't think it'd be worth even attempting to recreate. A relative of mine has a pontiac 400 from a 79 trans am and I am wondering if that would work? I'm pretty clueless so I expect bashing to come, but constructive criticism is welcome!

Old 06-15-2010, 01:58 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Not gonna bash you my friend but I will tell you that having a 305 is not the end of the world. If all the wiring is in the back seat it is not worth trying to figure out where everything goes. Give a call to the people over at Painless wiring and they can help you out. See if you can find a friend who knows a little about Chevy's in general and have him explain what you are up against. Regardless of what engine you eventually use your gonna need the wiring there!!!! When you see restoration pictures here on the web site you will notice there are no wiring laying around in the engine bay. Most of the time it means that the person who takes it out, usually puts it back in. You are going to spend a lot of time trying to figure out what someone else did and what they went through to do it. The Painless techs may already have the wiring harness set up you need. It is so much easier to spend a couple of hundred dollars and get it to just plug-n-play, rather than burn the stop light fuses, blow the headlights and splice wires for the next 3 weeks. Get it running with the 305 until your comfortable enough to move up to larger Cubic Inch engines. I deal a lot with 305's and to be honest with you.... you are going to hear a majority of people on this forum who will say to throw it away and replace with a 350. I never argue with these guys because it is true on what they say that there is no comparison with horsepower when it comes to upgrading. But... if a 305 is what you have, then a 305 is what you go downtown with. Just keep in mind that any upgrades you plan on doing should be towards the larger cubic inch 350 engine.

My opinion: have your friend keep his Pontiac 400, To be unique than OK take it but when it comes to upgrading it for more power..... it might be more expensive than just getting a 350 and doing the same. There are similarities with the Pontiac 400 but not worth headache.

Last edited by 68BarnFind; 06-15-2010 at 02:17 PM. Reason: spelling