Camaro Forums - Chevy Camaro Enthusiast Forum

Camaro Forums - Chevy Camaro Enthusiast Forum (https://camaroforums.com/forum/)
-   82-92 General (https://camaroforums.com/forum/82-92-general-10/)
-   -   oil on my spark plugs???? (https://camaroforums.com/forum/82-92-general-10/oil-my-spark-plugs-46713/)

youngbuck84 12-17-2009 08:11 PM

oil on my spark plugs????

i have a 84 2.8 v6 that i just bought not to long ago and went to change my plugs and my front 2 plugs on each side were coverd in oil... what would cuase this and how do i fix it ???? thanx

Camaro 69 12-17-2009 09:41 PM

If they're covered in oil on the electrodes, then the cause is severe engine wear. And the fix is to rebuild the engine.
But if you're talking about them being gunked up on the outside of the plug, then that's most likely from leaky valve cover gaskets. And the fix is to replace the gaskets.

Adam78 12-17-2009 11:04 PM

yeah i had a really bad one in cylinder 7 when i changed my plugs, but i think it just wasnt firing right anymore because it has been so long since i changed them, once i gave it a tune up it stopped the miss and everything, i havent checked the plug since then but that was the only one, i will rebuild my engine whenever i get the money together lol

microkid 12-18-2009 07:46 PM

if it was only the front two, it could be something minor like the pcv valve or bad valve seals. does it smoke a little blue when its first started up? if it was severe engine wear, all of them would be covered with oil. also, how long were the plugs in it?

Adam78 12-18-2009 10:45 PM

how big was the gap? i know the black sludgy one i had was like completely gapped out lol i dont think it could arc a spark no matter how much volts u threw at it

19jacks71 12-19-2009 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by youngbuck84 (Post 389148)
i have a 84 2.8 v6 that i just bought not to long ago and went to change my plugs and my front 2 plugs on each side were coverd in oil... what would cuase this and how do i fix it ???? thanx

shoot!!!!.....:icon_wink:
you should have seen the set i just today pulled out of my 82....305w/127k....
it was the first time i have changed them,,
since i bought the car that is....
6 out of 8 had anti-foulers on them,,,
dont know why realy,,,
as it dont smoke and they were pretty clean realy,
but you could tell they had been in there for a while....
the car did smoke a little after i first got it....
just about 1.5-3mins right after i fired it up the very first time??
but after sitting for 15yrs....thats very normal.....
not smokin now soooo......valve job soon??most likly...good luck with your leak bro..

youngbuck84 12-20-2009 09:03 AM

i kno i t wasnt sludge it was deff oil and yea only the front 2 were coverd the last one on each side were clean as can be .. the first set was in there for idk how long since i just bought the car .. but i put a new set in and ran it for about a month then pulled them again ... and same problem .. oil on the front 2 plugs on each side

Camaro 69 12-20-2009 09:58 AM

You're saying oil "on" the plug, or was it oil "in" the plug? You never answered my first question if it was on the electrodes or on the outside of the plug. Makes a difference.