Odd humming type noise

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 01:23 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Odd humming type noise

I have no way to describe this new sound my 87 iroc makes other than a higher pitched humming noise that seems to come from everywhere When this happens it'll happen no matter if in gear, park, neutral, and the car acts like it wants to die for a split second then goes back to idle.

Runs fine when I'm driving it this is only at a dead stop. The noise goes away when I rev the RPMS to about 2500-3000 and sometimes returns when its back down to idle.

I don't notice a spike in voltage and it's not the screeching sounds loose belts make. Doesn't matter if the car is warm or cold and it comes and goes. Possibly transmission? Since I can't seem to pinpoint it in the engine thats the only place I can think this is coming from.

Old 06-07-2011, 05:21 PM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

could be the fuel pump. with the car not running, turn the key on and listen to the pump prime. it will prime for 2-5 seconds. if you dont hear it, bump the key until the pump turns on

Old 06-07-2011, 05:39 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Pump hums like normal. The pump was replaced in this car about 10k miles ago as well. When I turn the key I hear the normal hum of the pump. This other hum sounds nothing like that though

Old 06-07-2011, 05:44 PM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

do you have the stereo off, heater fan off? try to eliminate as much noise as possible. but its a hum and not a whistle? and trans fluid level ok, automatic i presume?

Old 06-07-2011, 05:53 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Yup everything off I went out and got a video of it. You can hear it at the beginning and at the end. I pointed it where I think the noise is coming from. Seems to be the transmission to me Auto trans Iroc 5.7 TPI

YouTube - ‪87 Camaro humming noise‬‏

Old 06-07-2011, 06:46 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Man, that sounds like a vibrating or reverberating kind of noise. I see you're using the oil filter of death. Any coincidence with that noise starting shortly after the last oil change?

Old 06-07-2011, 07:00 PM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

get rid of the fram filter first and see if it stops. i use mobil 1 filters, and for good cause. i was fortunate enough to never have a fram filter implode on my, but have seen many cases of them doing so. also check to make sure the convertor shield is securely bolted to the transmission. sounds like a peice of plastic vibrating, almost emulating a turkey call

Old 06-07-2011, 10:18 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Well when I got the car it wasn't in shape to drive. I fixed a lot of stuff and changed the oil immediately. But before that the few times I ran the car it didn't make that noise. It did get steadily worse after I changed the oil.

When they did the engine rebuild they put a high flow pump in there (before I purchased the car). I got the mobile one tonight so I'll give that a shot. Seems smaller shorter than the rest of the filters (frame, k&n, etc).

Thanks for the info!! I'll do the oil change tomorrow and let ya'll know.

Old 06-07-2011, 11:18 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
I see you're using the oil filter of death.
it sucks fram filters are so garbage the black grip is awesome

Old 06-08-2011, 02:03 AM
2nd Gear member

Pull the belt off to eliminate any belt driven noises, but it could be alt bearing or tensioner

Quick Reply: Odd humming type noise