Restoring Grandma's car

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 02:46 AM
Default Restoring Grandma's car

I temporarily have in my possesion my mother in law's 1984 Berlinetta with fully stock 305HO. The car runs great but is in need of some attention. So i'm going to repair and give it a tasteful restoration, nothing extravagant. It passed smog with CO and NO numbers a bit high but still under the MAX. I figure it needs a full tune up, and some cracking hoses replaced. What does full tune up for a 305HO consist of? I have a floating gas gauge, and I've read that the sending units are not available anymore, any suggestions? I suppose this might be related to the Tune up but I feel like the car is using too much fuel. The bouncy gauge needle doesnt help, but its definitely using too much gas. Can I spray the carb with cleaner, or is it sensitive to cleaners due to is stock configuration? A reason why I ask also is that the car is hard to start in the mornings. Once started it runs great and always starts right up. It's only on the first start up of the day. Thanks.

On a sidenote: I'm doing this for her since she's been the owner since 1990, and she really like's it. Out of my own curiosity, is the 305HO a better choice of 305? what's the difference?

Old 08-10-2010, 12:45 PM

Okay so I figured out most of my issues using the SEARCH all of last night. Can anyone give me any info regarding the 305HO engine

Old 08-10-2010, 12:48 PM

You sure its an HO.From what ive read the HO was only an option on Z28s.Engine code would be G (8th degit) for HO & H for the standard 305.Main difference, HO had 190hp Vs 145 (maybe) for the non HO.

Should be OK spraying carb cleaner into the carb.You could also buy a rebuild kit.This will allow you to replace most of the seals/gaskets.Last time i rebuilt mine, engine idled/started (cold) great.

Do you close the choke before cranking the engine(cold)?Mine is also a litlle hard starting if i dont close the choke.Before i start mine ill tap the gas pedal 2/3 times, then turn the key & it kicks over right away.

My 84 also uses a bit of gas, but i havent been able to improve it much.Seems the more miles/years go by the worse it gets, but it does run great.Just barely passes smog too!

My fuel gauge is the same way, i just live with it, but i know when to rely on it.You should definately replace any cracked vacumm lines.Plus check your plugs, ing wires, cap/rotor, coil for any wear.

Old 08-10-2010, 12:54 PM

Thanks 84Zee! Vin dispalys an H. So now I have to look for an Engine code on the engine, to see if it's ever been changed.

Old 08-10-2010, 01:26 PM

Some visual differences to look for,
G Vs H code eng.
G-dual snorkle air cleaner, H-single sorkle
G- elec cooling fan, H- mechanical fan
G- baro sensor(on pass cowl), H no baro

Old 08-10-2010, 04:10 PM
1st Gear Member

84Zee: do you have LED tailights?...it kinda looks like that in your avatar

Old 08-10-2010, 09:03 PM

I think she has the regular 305, cuz it has a mechanical fan. The dual snorkel aircleaner is HO but the rest is not. Thanks for helping clarify this.

Old 08-11-2010, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by BenL07
84Zee: do you have LED tailights?...it kinda looks like that in your avatar
The lenses are painted a checker board pattern.Every other grid is black.Although i do have LEDs in the red(brk light) portion.The sig & back-up still use bulbs.

Originally Posted by GrandmasCar
I think she has the regular 305, cuz it has a mechanical fan. The dual snorkel aircleaner is HO but the rest is not. Thanks for helping clarify this.
Glad to help.