new to third gen need help

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2012 | 08:07 PM
|
Default new to third gen need help

Hey guys I'm always liked the third gen body style, but have never had one of these cars nor do I know much about them. I'm a chevy guy, I have a Corvette and a Silverado and I was looking for a fun little screw around car. Anyway I was wondering if you guys can tell me anything about this car just from the ad. Good? Bad? Stay away? Are these possible to drive in the snow? Any info is much appreciated..

89 Camaro

Old 02-25-2012 | 08:39 AM

First off welcome to the forum. I recently joined as well and have already found everyone on here to be very helpful. Are you from the Twin Cities or somewhere else in MN/WI. As far as the mods on the car I would see if the owner can provide proof of any work that has been done. Without proof you wont know what has been done unless you tear into the engine. For the driving in the snow I would say no. I am from the Willmar area and combine the power and the rear wheel drive and you would have trouble getting any traction at all. Let us know if you get it and keep us updated on anything you do to the car.

Old 02-25-2012 | 09:37 AM
Third Generation Moderator
March 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I'd avoid someone's frankencar and go for one that has been kept mostly stock- just so you know what you're getting.

Perhaps this one instead?
1988 IROC Z28

Old 02-29-2012 | 07:01 AM
4th Gear Member

please understand that this is an opinion thread

the $5k car, for that money the interior had best be excellent, the paint very good and all engine work documented. it sounds like a swap and not a rebuild was done and the photo shows tired interior and far away shot means bad paint job

the 88 that st posted has high miles

neither car would get anywhere beyond $1500 from me because both will need the engine yanked and rebuilt

you don't drop in someone else' junk engine and think things are good

honestly, both sellers are a bit out of touch with their pricing

Old 02-29-2012 | 08:24 AM
3rd Gear Member

Another good idea is to check into your emission laws to make sure what you buy can even be registered. I know I'm in one of the worst states out there for emissions, but I've seen more than one time someone spending money on a car they cannot get through emissions (required for registration) and then end up selling the car at a huge loss because of it.

Old 02-29-2012 | 08:24 AM

Torque, I agree both cars are over priced. But that's a common problem in the northern states. I don't know where you are from but especially in Minnesota if the car is rust free people think its worth twice as much. Disadvantage of living up north.

Old 03-01-2012 | 09:49 AM
|

thanks for the info. the only one ive looked at so far the guy wanted 2k for it, said it was mostly rust free, but i couldnt put my foot in a certain spot on the carpet since the metal was thin there... wow. most of these cars around here were not preserved and the ones that were are upwards of 5k..

Old 03-02-2012 | 08:20 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by c5surprise
thanks for the info. the only one ive looked at so far the guy wanted 2k for it, said it was mostly rust free, but i couldnt put my foot in a certain spot on the carpet since the metal was thin there... wow. most of these cars around here were not preserved and the ones that were are upwards of 5k..
3 years ago, before gas was $4 per gallon I had a vehicle transported 1700 miles to me for $500

With that said, look for southern cars and transport one. You can pick up rust free project vehicles for under $1,000, transport it and still be lower than your $2,000 rust buckets