new to the site, just one question for now... :)

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 05:43 PM
Default new to the site, just one question for now... :)

it's kinda late now cause i already bought it, but....

1984 Camaro Berlinetta "Starwars"
5.0 V8 4bl, Auto, T Tops, AC, Power everything, 136,667 miles. Beige in color. A small amount of rust under the hood and a drivers side door that needs to be replaced. It's been sitting in a garage the past 7 years. Flawless interior. Complete with the swivel radio/tape deck. Needs a paint job.

1. how much would you pay for it ( just wondering...)
2. besides belts/drain the gas/ oil and standard maint what should i look for? i'm having it towed to my house to work on it.

Old 04-21-2008, 06:44 PM
March 2008 ROTM
Default RE: new to the site, just one question for now... :)

look at the suspension, make sure its all safe and good to go. If it starts listen for any oddities. Watch for smoke, yada yada.

Old 04-21-2008, 08:18 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

For an 84 that needs a bit of work to get it on the road, and a paint job too, I wouldn't pay much more than $500.
Remove the brake fluid from the reservoir, put in new, andbleed at all wheels.
Ditto for the power steering fluid.
Check the trans fluid, see if it smells burnt. Change it if it does.
And you may need to rebuild the carb.

Old 04-21-2008, 08:21 PM

Beauty is in te eye of the beholder. Car is not worth much now......but..... Visionary. WTG.

Old 04-22-2008, 08:44 AM
March '09 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

As Camaro 69 said not more than 500.00 also if it has been sitting in a garage that long the tires are shot unless the car was sitting on some jack stands

Old 04-22-2008, 02:25 PM
3rd Gear Member

Hate to scare you, but did you even start that thing up? After 7 years in a barn or garage, Id be afraid that little rodents might be making nests in all sorts of fun spots like air cleaners and exhaust vents.

Change your fluids out. Ditto on that brake fluid thing as well. Let us know how it turns out.

Dont let these guys bust your ***** about the 500 dollar value. Up here in the Northeast, any running car that old thats in decent shape (read notrusted to the ground) will fetch about fifteen hundred.

I bought my 82 for 1300, and she was in between 'daily driver' and 'hoopty' condition. (More towards the hoopty end of the spectrum) But a year later and about3000 moretotal invested, well, she looks and drives like a million bucks. Dont get me wrong, there have been some SERIOUS setbacks, but its all worth it. Good luck.

Old 04-22-2008, 03:43 PM
March 2008 ROTM

serious setbacks. thats a understatement.. lol

Old 04-22-2008, 03:57 PM

thanks for the input everyone,

i bought it for 1000. since the interior is flawless i figured even if there was a major problem i could part the girl out for more than that. When i went to go look at her/buy her she started up. transmission shifts very smoothly.

350rs - any thing specific on the suspension? i'll be replacing the shocks and struts for sure... along with, plugs, wires, cap& rotor, all the filters and all the fluids... blah blah blah...

Old 04-22-2008, 05:46 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

kdrshocker, possibly yours may be in better condition than you made it sound? Last summer I picked up a great find. A '91 RS 305 from the original owner. It had been sitting a little less than three years, has NO rust, the interior is mint, and everything works! New brakes and tires were put on it right before getting parked. I got it for $1,000 (she wouldn't budge on the price, but I tried). I had to replace the fuel pump and filter, exhaust from the cat back, changed all the fluids, rebuilt the TBI unit, and gave it a good cleaning. I have a total of $1,800 in it as it sits. The p.o. was a car nut and took good care of the car! Good deals are out there. The cool thing is, I'm second owner and even have the original window sticker.

Old 04-22-2008, 05:59 PM
March 2008 ROTM

ORIGINAL: kdrshocker

thanks for the input everyone,

i bought it for 1000. since the interior is flawless i figured even if there was a major problem i could part the girl out for more than that. When i went to go look at her/buy her she started up. transmission shifts very smoothly.

350rs - any thing specific on the suspension? i'll be replacing the shocks and struts for sure... along with, plugs, wires, cap& rotor, all the filters and all the fluids... blah blah blah...
Nothing specific. Just an over all look. Might not be a bad idea to take it to a shop and have them look it over. Costs a little bit, but it can help you a lot if you dont know exactly what to look for

Quick Reply: new to the site, just one question for now... :)