New Headers

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2007, 03:10 PM
1st Gear Member
Default New Headers

I decided it was time to replace head gaskets in my car before they blew so I've been working on that for the past 2 days now. Now that its all stripped down, I decided it would probably be smartest to get headers now while I have everything apart instead of having to do it all over. SoI ordered a set. However, the AIR lines on the current exhaust manifolds aren't on the headers I ordered. Are they required to be connected to something or will I pop a code? I've heard I can just pipe them with some rubber hose to the one connected to the cat. Is this true or doesn't it really matter? If I didn't have to connect them and could just leave it without the hoses that would be awesome.

BTW the cars a 89 V8 305 TBI

Old 07-13-2007, 03:18 PM
4th Gear Member
Default RE: New Headers

You should of ordered a set with the AIR fittings and be Emission legal. If Emission checks are required you may fail.

Old 07-13-2007, 07:41 PM
1st Gear Member

If I fail, I'm going to get a P.O. box in another county. Can I just run them all straight to the cat? They all go in the same place anyways.

Also I realized that an O2 sensor has to go into something. I'm guessing there won't be a port on the headers so what do I do with that?

Old 07-13-2007, 08:30 PM
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jdubs1813

If I fail, I'm going to get a P.O. box in another county. Can I just run them all straight to the cat? They all go in the same place anyways.

Also I realized that an O2 sensor has to go into something. I'm guessing there won't be a port on the headers so what do I do with that?
PUNT.......[sm=bicker.gif]

Old 07-13-2007, 11:16 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: blackz87

PUNT.......[sm=bicker.gif]
PUNT? Can you just answer the question?

Old 07-13-2007, 11:57 PM
2nd Gear member

its funny this topic should come up. i just got Edelbrock shorty's (50 state legal) installed on wednesday, and there is one hell of a difference in sound and performance. it sounds like a real engine now with the throaty low tones amplified. performance wise it took about a second off my 0-60 time. now it does it in about 2.3 seconds. just ****tn... but seriously.

Old 07-14-2007, 01:04 AM
In the Staging Lanes

"Punt" is not very helpful unless it's 4th and 3, but I think what he is trying to say is that you are better off running the stock manifolds until you buy the correct headers with the AIR fittings. It is more trouble than it's worth to try to make those work with your system.

Old 07-14-2007, 04:15 PM
1st Gear Member

Well don't fret... I just canceled the order and ordered the Edelbrock Shorty Headers from summitracing.com. They include everything needed. Also ordered a Flowmaster exhaust kit. So I think it should all be good now.

Old 07-14-2007, 06:25 PM
2nd Gear member

Good choice![sm=smiley20.gif] You wont be disappointed. are you going to install them yourself? Because my installer said if i ever bring him an 82 -92 camaro again i might as well give him a gun too because he will shoot himself. he was saying that it was the hardest car to install headers on in the world... o ya and did you get the ti tech or the ceramic?

Old 07-15-2007, 08:33 AM
1st Gear Member

I'm restoring my 86 iroc z and I took a hack saw to the air lines and plugged the holes. I'm eliminating most of the restrictive, unneccessary emissions. That's why these 305s were so held back, people went emissions-crazy in the 80s like the world was coming to an end. **** those air lines lol.

Quick Reply: New Headers