New to the 305 motor, so i has somes questions...

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2008, 10:27 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default New to the 305 motor, so i has somes questions...

first off i have a 1988 Iroc-z with the base TBI 305 motor. when i go to strt it, it cranks for about 5 seconds before it starts, i figured this was normal due to the TBI an all, but what bothers me is it seems alot of pressure is building in my fuel tank, normal? next question, when i turn my high beams onmy headlights go dead and my power fluctuates to 10 volts then back up to 14 and my accessories die for a second. anyone ever see this before?

Old 10-18-2008, 10:45 PM
Overdrive Member
Default RE: New to the 305 motor, so i has somes questions...

ORIGINAL: Lithorian

first off i have a 1988 Iroc-z with the base TBI 305 motor.
If you have an IROC then you have TPI. If you have a TBI then you have a RS. There were no IROCs' with TBI nor RSs' with TPI.

When you go to start it next time turn the key to the ON position and wait about 2 seconds while the pump primes and see how long it takes to start. Can you hear the fuel pump buzz when you turn the key? I will assume so. If it did not it would have to start when there is oil pressure and 5 seconds on inittial start is a fast build of oil pressure.

You high beam switch may be bad. It is down towards the bottom of the column with the ignition switch. But I really do not think that would cause the other issues with the electrical. but might be a place to check out.

Old 10-18-2008, 11:07 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

I have a 91 (non-Iroc Z) RS 305 TBI. Ittakes between 2-3 seconds of cranking before it starts. When I bought it, it had been sitting for a while with a bad fuel pump. Before getting it on the road, I replacedthe pump, filter, new ignition parts, andrebuilt the TBI unit. Nothing's wrong with the way it starts, that's just the way it is, and it always starts fine. BTW, I tried both cranking right away and waiting a couple seconds for the pump to prime first, and it makes no difference.

Old 10-19-2008, 03:26 AM
In the Staging Lanes

according to my sources (im an apprentice at my local GM dealer) the L03 TBI 305 motor was the BASE iroc motor. but regardless camaro69 has preety much answered my question regarding the cranking, i figured it was just due to the fact the the fuel had to make it from the TB to the cylinders, just wanted a second oppinion, suprizingly enough, none of our journeymen know much about camaros (we're a Cadillac, buick, pontiac and GMC dealer)

Old 10-19-2008, 08:51 AM
4th Gear Member

according to my sources (im an apprentice at my local GM dealer) the L03 TBI 305 motor was the BASE iroc motor. but regardless camaro69 has preety much answered my question regarding the cranking, i figured it was just due to the fact the the fuel had to make it from the TB to the cylinders, just wanted a second oppinion, suprizingly enough, none of our journeymen know much about camaros (we're a Cadillac, buick, pontiac and GMC dealer)

You are correct about the LO3 TBI being the base engine with the TPI's being options. Some people don't know all the facts.

Old 10-19-2008, 05:46 PM
Overdrive Member

Some times I forget things are not always equal the world over. Here in California I remember there being only the irocs with TPI, Camaro (after they droped the Z28 name) and California eddition RS. In all my years I have never seen the poor man's iroc.

Old 10-19-2008, 09:00 PM
1st Gear Member

mine cranks for like 2 seconds

Old 10-19-2008, 09:43 PM
Overdrive Member

Yeah mine cranks for 2 as well. Maybe the OP is just impatient and 2 seconds fell like an eternity (or 5 seconds, which ever comes first)

Old 10-20-2008, 05:36 PM
August 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Flick the key and mine fires right up, no time to count

Old 10-20-2008, 11:28 PM
In the Staging Lanes

actually i think the long crank times were the prelude to the problem that just arose today, went to go out and start, and no spark, no fuel, going to test and replace the coil tomorrow, i think this is probably the culprit, btw, i hope i didnt come off as an ***, wasnt tryin to, was just sharing some of my knowledge.

Quick Reply: New to the 305 motor, so i has somes questions...