Needing some help and info

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 10:45 AM

on a side note, i do have the haynes book, anyone know if that will help since i now know that this is a 305 outta the same year camaro?

Old 06-26-2011, 10:48 AM
3rd Gear Member

If the hood hasn't been replaced, use the numbers from the emissions decal. I'm still confused on whats going on though. If I am understanding this correctly, someone has swapped out the MPFI V6 for a 4bbk 305? If thats the case, then the emission sticker will be wrong. I am sure someone on here has those base numbers for a carb'd 305. With that being said, please check your 8th digit of the VIN and let us know that number, it will identify exactly what was in the car to begin with. Also, you may now be a bit over carb'd unless its a stock rochester or something close in CFM. Also, how did you verify it was an 86 305? There just seems to a lot of variables now.

Old 06-26-2011, 12:57 PM

I got the block id number off of the motor finally and found out what it is. here is the info when I decode the VIN number.

Year: 1986
Engine Type: 2.8L V6 OHV 12V
Make: Chevrolet
Model: Camaro
Trim Level: Base
Body Type: 2-Dr Coupe

The 8th digit is S.

The Block Code is K0203DDU and if I found the correct info tells me...

K = St. Catherines, Ontario McKinnon Industries
02 = Feb
03 = 3rd day of the month
DDU = 305-cid 4v 165HP

That is all the information I have currently. I did not look at the plate at the back of the block yet to get the VIN info from the block, but the DDU code shows to be used in the 86 impala/caprice and the 86 camaro.

The 350-cid is the info that was given to me when I originally bought the camaro. Unfortunately I'm slowly learning that I'm a fool for being so trusting. It had a carter quadrajet on the original intake. I've since replace the intake and carb with a 7101 edlebrock intake and a 1407 edlebrock 750cfm carb. I'm sure you are correct with the over carb'ing. But I am currently just trying to make sure i have the correct timing and then i'll have to figure out the carb situation.

Old 06-26-2011, 05:46 PM
3rd Gear Member

Ok, it sounds like a basketcase. But, depending on what you want, it might end up ok. Advise was given on how to run a return style regulator, these work well and would be ok for your app. I prefer not to have the electric pump in the tank if I'm using a mechanical pump....its just a preference. You will be for sure over carb'd and you may actually be better off using a stock low profile intake. Do a simple good search for an 86 camaro with a 4bbl v8. Those numbers will most likely be very very close, if not exactly what you need. Now, hopefully whoever did the swap left the timing tab on, and the timing marks on the balancer are there. On my old 305 there was a notch for TDC. Best of luck.

Old 06-27-2011, 08:06 AM

Thank you all again. I got it running and seem to have even got the carb jettings set nicely. It only seems to bog a little if i rev, back off, then rev again. but at this point, i'm the happiest camper in the world since i got it running again since i bought it 2-3 months ago had it going for a week then not running at all again till now. I did check, they did pull the pump from the tank so there was nothing special that needed to be done there. finally figured out the timing issue (thanks again, and yes the tab was still there and with the haynes manual, it made it a little easier) but essentially we had the plug wires wrong on the distributor. but after a little reasearch on that it made it ALOT easier. Again, thank you all for all your help. It made the process alot easier for a novice like me.

Old 06-28-2011, 12:30 PM

All that work and me and guy helping show me where everything was forgot to reseal the distributor when we had to lift it back out due to issues trying to time the car correctly.