Needing some help and info

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 09:21 AM
Default Needing some help and info

So I bought my '86 camaro about 2 months ago. I've been working on it every week since I got it and i'm just about to finish it up and hopefully have it running. But I'm at a point where I could really use some assistance. I'm putting on a new intake and carb currently and replacing the fuel filter. Just to give ya some info, the engine is a 350 pulled from a mid 70's truck (so i was told from the person i bought it from) and i believe it to be from a 1/2 ton C10. I have yet to actually find the serial (which i'm hoping to this weekend when i finally get it on a lift) to determine the motor for sure other than it being a 350.

Basically, the info i'm looking for is on the fuel delivery system. The car was a v6fi stock. When the motor was replaced, they put in a carbureted motor with a mechanical fuel pump at the block and i don't know if they removed the in the tank electric pump. My question is what (if any) problems can this cause, and what exactly would one need to do to eliminate that electric fuel pump if they had to? Also, what would the estimated time of that be (given everything goes smoothly)? I am just wondering because i may have access to a shop and lift this weekend and need to gauge the amount of time needed for use of the lift to work something out with the owner. the intake and carb are almost done and i just need to replace the fuel line from the filter to the mechanical pump because it twisted and cracked when trying to remove it from the current fuel filter. and i figured, since i had it on the lift, if i absolutely had to, i'd pull the tank (though i'd like to avoid it because i heard it's a pain). So any input you could give would be greatly appreciated. Thank you again in advance for any advice.

Old 06-23-2011, 10:05 AM
3rd Gear Member

I think we'll need some more info. What motor does the car have in it now? Does it have your motor, or was the V6 replaced with a V8 already? Answer that first and then more help will follow.

Old 06-23-2011, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by djs383
I think we'll need some more info. What motor does the car have in it now? Does it have your motor, or was the V6 replaced with a V8 already? Answer that first and then more help will follow.
As per the the post. No, it had a 350 V8 that i was told came out of a mid 70's truck. I've been using a 74' C10 1/2 ton as a marker for parts and the part numbers appear to be matching up. but i have not gotten the serial number off the block yet to verify that is actually the case. the motor was already in the car when i bought it. all i'm wondering really is if i need to pull the tank and absolutely remove the electric pump since the 350 has a mechanical fuel pump at the block? OR, if it's disengaged and left in the tank if it will render the car undriveable? Also, if the tank does need to be pulled, what an average time people have seen having to do this so i can estimate how long i'd need access to the lift for.

Old 06-23-2011, 11:49 AM
2nd Gear member

First check if the stock pump works. If it does then just use it with a regulator to bring the pressure down, it will have to be a return style regulator though so that the fuel pump can just stay running

Old 06-23-2011, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by carguy68ssrs
First check if the stock pump works. If it does then just use it with a regulator to bring the pressure down, it will have to be a return style regulator though so that the fuel pump can just stay running

Well if that's all, that's excellent. One last question then, is there a specific fuel regulator i should look into, or just use the one that comes up for that vehicle in a search for parts for that "stock" vehicle at a parts store? I'm guessing it's going to be something i'll have to get and make work though, right? And actually this will be the last question. is there an easy way to determine if the stock electric fuel pump is still in the tank for sure, and will the connections be easy to spot to make sure it's engaged or still can be reengaged? (without dropping the whole tank of course)

Last edited by sam.maeder; 06-23-2011 at 12:26 PM.
Old 06-23-2011, 04:08 PM
2nd Gear member

Did the car run before?? Get a manual and it will show you how to jump connector for fuel pump so you can test.
Actually if it in there and working you should here it run when you first turn key to ON position. Listen for the HUM when the key gets turned.

Old 06-23-2011, 07:11 PM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

if the electric pump works, get a return style regulator for the carb. if it doesnt, remove the tank and verify the pump has been removed. you will burn up the mechanical pump trying to pull through the electric motor, and can also do so with the filter used for efi. you will need that removed and put a filter after the pump

Old 06-24-2011, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by carguy68ssrs
Did the car run before?? Get a manual and it will show you how to jump connector for fuel pump so you can test.
Actually if it in there and working you should here it run when you first turn key to ON position. Listen for the HUM when the key gets turned.
Does it remain humming? Like once the key is in the on position, can i walk back and listen at the tank just to make sure i'm hearing the right thing, or does it just hum for a moment then turn off? And yes, i did have the car running for a week (drivable) but the carb was shot and i was getting all sorts of fuel and vaccuum issues with it on. I had already done a rebuild on it and decided i was just better off replacing it when i found i couldn't get an exact replacement as easily as i hoped, i just went with a different carb and intake.

Also, because I didn't get a chance to check back for any more responses yesterday (which i thank all of you very much for, i'm not a mechanic, but i like to tinker and can use all the help i can get) i asked someone and they said that if the electric pump is working, and i have a mechanical pump at the block, that should be sufficient rather than purchasing a fuel regulator. Just curious if that's true, or if that would cause more issues than it's worth?

Last edited by sam.maeder; 06-24-2011 at 08:36 AM.
Old 06-24-2011, 06:30 PM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

having a functional electric pump will overpower the mechanical pump and will force too much fuel into the carb. you need a return style regulator if using the oem electric pump. do not use a non-return regulator as you will dead head the pump and burn it out. if you use the mechanical pump and disable the electric pump, you will burn up the mechanical pump trying to draw through the motor and filters.

also, the electric pump will prime 2-3 seconds at key on. if you arent sure, bump the starter. it will trigger the pump to run another 2-3 seconds

Old 06-26-2011, 10:05 AM

Thanks again for all the help with the fuel issue. I appreciate everything. I just found out today that this is actually the 86 305-cid 4v 165 hp motor in this car. So needless to say, i now have to retime everything (because i replaced the intake) and have been trying to do so for the 350. Anyone able to tell me the timing, and any specifics, so i can get the timing right? including finding the cap and rotor timing mark so i can get it tuned and timed correctly? if you can include any pictures too (if you have any that may help) that would be excellent because then i can print them and actually see where what's supposed to be.

again, thank you all so much for your help. you've all given me very vaulable information and it's gotten me almost to the finish. I'm a huge camaro fan (and old GTO's) and now that i have one, i wanna make her the best she can be. and you've all been helping me along very well.

Quick Reply: Needing some help and info