need help, wiring diagram efi fuel pump

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 10:14 AM
Default RE: need help, wiring diagram efi fuel pump

Ok guys & gals the reason I'm postin in this thred is because the issues I'm havin are simular.Bear with an old man.The Camaro is a 90 R/S with a 3.1 multiport.
Here we go.Have a good vats bypass.Know this because drove the car for a yr with no issues after i did the bypass.But now turn key fuel pump does not kick in.No whir or anything.Did all the tests (ecm pulse ect.)Relay does not even click.Tested it it's good.Have a number of others for back up.
Removed and benchtested pump it works and has good pressure.Also have multible replacements for this.
Have power everywhere in the relays plugin spot also checked fuses and fuse links with multimeter they are good.
It's like theres a break in the wires somewhere.
I checked the harness and no breaks from pump to inside the car under left kickpanel next to fuse panel.
Now I did try an experiment and ran current to the grey wire that runs the pump and it kicked in.car starts and runs.But when voltage is removed car shuts off.
I'm thinkin of addin a switch and runnin power to this point however I have concerns of burning up wires and damage to the ECM.
What do ya all think??Oh yea the ecm is good.I have a bro with same yr make model.(a clone)He drove over and we swapped box's .Mine worked in his car for 2 weeks but his didn't help mine at all.
[align=left] [/align]

Old 03-22-2008, 12:27 PM
Tech Droid

Have you tried a new fuel pump relay?

Old 03-22-2008, 06:46 PM

yup tested original and replaced same just ta be sure.Even tried useing the relay that runs the radiator fan as it's same relay.It realy seems like a break in wire between the ecm and relay that runs pump.But when tested with bulb tester it lit the light for a sec or so.Seriously considering runing the car with a jumper to the afore mentioned grey wire under the left kick panel.Get a few little more time out of the car then if it burns the ecm or harness I'll just gut her and drop in an old carbed 6 or 8 cyl.Would have to drill hole for speedocable but no big deal.
Yes tank has gas.Any other ideas?

Old 03-30-2008, 10:34 AM

Ummnn ok gang>>Help?Anyone try runnin a bypass like I mentioned above?Anybody have any idea what doing so might do to the ecm or the car in general.When I tried it the first time or two the car started up and ran.It didn't stumble or anything.Ran just like it did b4 she was parked.However when I removed the jumper she cut right off as if had turned the key.Not like she ran out of gas.Any input at this time is appreciated.Realy don't want to go thru all the work to drop in a carbed non computer controlled engine much less the work to change it from an electronic speedo type setup to a cable type setup.(tranny swap drillin holes huntin down the parts ect.)Have gone thru that before with friends cars and it's simple enuff to do just a pain in the butt.

Old 04-13-2008, 09:58 AM

Awwww heck gang.Anyone know if the notion I posted above will work or fry the system ??Help the cars sittin in my drive on stands and it's killin me ta see her like that.

Old 04-14-2008, 02:34 AM
2nd Gear member

Iwired a toggleto run a stang years ago when I understood less about EFI. It ran for a year up until the engine was removed with no issues. My quess is you wont have a problem. Have you checked the oil sending unit? That is what runs the fuel pump after the ecm primes the system (like Pete taught me).

Old 04-14-2008, 08:46 PM
Overdrive Member

Check this stuff first if you have not already.
Orange wire to relay should be hot at all times.
Black or black with white stripe should be a good ground.
A green and white should have power for 2 seconds from the computer
and then continuos as long as there are ignition pulses.
The tan wire is power to the pump. If all the afore mentioned works then go to the plug in the back by the tank and check for the power for the 2 seconds there and the ground.

Old 04-19-2008, 09:10 AM

Ok gonna retry all that see if anthhing has changed.However it seems like the ECM is gettin no power now at all untill I apply / supply it thru the Grey wire runnin under the left kick panel to the back seat area thru the floor to the fuel pump.(yea I followed it physically all the way )