Need Help! Does this look promising?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 06:27 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Need Help! Does this look promising?

I recently stumbled across this '84 on Craigslist, and am debating if it would be a good car for my first. I've fallen in love with chevy and camaros, and I found this guy who is really trying to sell his.

This '84 began showing up on Craigslist for the past month, starting out at about 4k, but has now moved down to only $1800 (patience does save you money!). Here are a few pics and a bio to follow:

Here is a quote, or small list of parts he put on: "a gift,4- wheel disc,sub frame connectors,B/M Quarter stick,line lock,complete MSD Ignition,posi rear,new tires,originally 4-speed car has pedals/700r-4 automatic,edlebrock/holley". Also, he has listed it at 57 thousand miles, which isn't bad at all.

Looks can be looks though, and I won't know the truth till I call and test it, but what do you guys think?

Old 02-08-2008, 06:31 PM
4th Gear Member
Default RE: Need Help! Does this look promising?

I think it might have been beaten to hell and back.

Old 02-08-2008, 09:17 PM
2nd Gear member

for 1800, its a keeper. even with some body rust and what not that can all be fixed easily in my opinion.
so im guessing it has about 350 or more hp? its really nice, so i say go for it. take it for a ride and see if theres any noises or vibrations coming from it, but if its a nice ride with no problems id get it.

Old 02-08-2008, 10:18 PM
2nd Gear member

It probably has been beaten on a little bit, but it's certainly worth checking out and test driving. Is it a 350? If it is, and especially if it's any good (as in, not broken/needing rebuilt), then the engine and trans alone could be worth close to the $1800.

Old 02-09-2008, 10:07 AM
August 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

If he is claiming it is a 350, be weary.

Old 02-09-2008, 10:09 AM
March 2008 ROTM

be weary of the WHOLE car. anything and everything. Check the car very very well before you purchase anything. any hint of water in the oil, smoke, a smell out of the ordinary.. anything

Old 02-09-2008, 04:37 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Take it to a real mechanic. Best 50 bucks you will spend. They will be able to tell the general condition and they will be able to tell it the modification that have been done where done well. $1800 seems like a good price, do not expect much in the way of fuel milage.8 miles a gallonwas not uncommon on older hot rods. 40 cents a mile a bit tough with a part time min wage job.

Also the candle that burns twice as bright burns half as long. This carwill most likely not be the most dependable car you could find.

All that aside looks like it would be a blast asa first car just don't wrap it around any poles.

Old 02-09-2008, 05:59 PM
In the Staging Lanes

ORIGINAL: Gorn

Take it to a real mechanic. Best 50 bucks you will spend. They will be able to tell the general condition and they will be able to tell it the modification that have been done where done well. $1800 seems like a good price, do not expect much in the way of fuel milage.8 miles a gallonwas not uncommon on older hot rods. 40 cents a mile a bit tough with a part time min wage job.

Also the candle that burns twice as bright burns half as long. This carwill most likely not be the most dependable car you could find.

All that aside looks like it would be a blast asa first car just don't wrap it around any poles.
Well I was going to bring my uncle, whom has his own muscle car rebuild shop in AZ (NobileMotorsports, unfortuanetly the website is down now), and also my father who as been driving and collecting cars since he was 12 (right now has a BEAUTIFUL '71, made by my previously described uncle, which I'll post pics sometime). So I think I would have the experience with me.

Judging by the look, it's probably a 350, but it probably won't fly with my parents, just because of gas mileage. They're attempting to encourage me to get a camry or something. I just want a kick *** car badly, and as previously stated have fallen in love with third gens.

Thanks for the responses guys.

EDIT: Also do you think it is actually 57-k, or 57-k on the new motor? Because I was kind of shocked that an '84 could only have 57-k.... anyway I'll talk to the guy.

Old 02-09-2008, 06:45 PM
March 2008 ROTM

its probably more like 157 or even 257 for that year car. But no telling what the mileage on the motor is

Old 02-09-2008, 08:36 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I just remembered a while back, like in one of his first posts of the car he showed a pic of another motor, I think it was a v6, and said it was the stock original and could be worked into the deal...

Now i'm not 100% it was this poster, because I've been looking a lot lately around craigslist, and could have gotten it confused with another guy's ad. Again, I'll have to talk to the guy.