Name that part!

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2007, 10:09 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Name that part!

My wipers worked once or twice then stopped. Then here's what happened: i kept it "on" for a bit and smoke started coming out from the hole where the controls are for the turn signal/wipers. So it seems to be a short or something blew. The smoked stopped when i turned the wipers off. Now i have no clue what that part is that goes into the steering column nor how to check or change it.

I looked in the Haynes manual with no luck. I think when i changed it in my mustang they called it a "multi function switch" but can't find that anywhere. Anyone know what it is and how to get to it?

Old 06-23-2007, 04:04 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Name that part!

Yeah thats the turn signal lever, you'll need a steering wheel puller and remove the canceling cam, and the screw holding the lever to the turn sigal switch, and remove the lever, pull the bottom cover off the column and the fuse panel disconnect the harness and pull it back out the column. I just recently replaced mine, it was broke clean off, found one at a wrecking yard. you might have heard about them? a junk yard called pull-a-part, where you get find the best part, I love that place I,ve found some great steals there.

Old 06-23-2007, 01:50 PM
Overdrive Member

My old Fiat I had since junour high is just about built from PickN Pull parts!

Hopefully its just the switch. If the motor got stuck it may have been putting a strain on the switch. But since the switch was smoking I think that may need to be done first. Plus it moves and wires may have gotten shorted.
You do need to pull the steering wheel. Then the lock plate. If you have a tool for doing those great. If not, rent one or get a freind with strong thumbs. (I used to do it with my thumbs) Pull straght out on the wiper lever. It has a detent ball that holds it in. If you have cruise becaurful because it has small wires in there for it. Go to the botom of the column and unplug the two flat plugs. One long for the turn signals and one short for the wiper switch. Tape a piece of wire to the wiper one so when you pull it out you have the wire to tape to the replacement to pull it back through. (makes it a little easier)unbolt the lever from the turn signal switch that goes to the lever, the hazard buttonand the 3 screws on the signal switch and pull it out enough to get out of the way. Not all the way out or you have more wirs to fish back in. Remove the small plastic piece with the flat spring from under the ignition lock (the key buzzer contacts) A small screw driver through the hazard button hole to pry it out works good. Then rmove the screw that was behind it and pull out the lock. Remove the 3 screws and slice the column cover off enough to remove the wiper switch and pull the wiper switch wires through. There is a pin that gholds the switch and itpivots on it. Pull that out and the switch is free.
Read the instructions backwards to install

Old 06-24-2007, 09:06 AM
1st Gear Member

That was nice Mike!, Where were you when i was doing mine, i had to follow a haynes manuel! and it ate up a good chunk of weekend to do the job. Also just remembered another use for the haynes manuel, dubs as a pillow when you really need a nap.

Old 06-24-2007, 02:29 PM
Overdrive Member

....Or toilet paper. I would use my haynes before my phone book.
I fixed many columns. Either from theft damage or the dreaded tilt column slop. I could tear aprt the columns to fix the loose ones and put it back together within45 minutes.