is my posi going bad?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2007, 03:08 PM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club
Default is my posi going bad?

i was changing my rear tires today, and when i was just snugging the nut on while the rear was in the air, the differential spun. isnt free like an open diff and there was some resistance, but it never did that to me before. is my posi going bad? the car had been sitting and cooled for 12 hours, i dont know if these stiffen up when theyre up to temp or not. if it is going bad, how do i go about rebuilding it, or should i just swap it out? i was thinking of maybe getting a minispool?

Old 04-01-2007, 04:32 PM
2nd Gear member
Default RE: is my posi going bad?

the problem with a mini spool is there is no difference in wheels speed when going around turns so they want to push really bad (understeer) , so they become hard to turn in parking lots , driveways , and wear tires REALLY quick. it can also cause them to get loose in corners real quick. you can rebuild the factory unit , but i have heard great things about the PowerTrax unit for street use. check it out http://store.summitracing.com/partde...p;autoview=sku

Old 04-01-2007, 07:54 PM
Overdrive Member

Are you like some kinda he man? They will turn a bit to allow you to turn corners. But usualy when I do it by hand and one wheel is on the ground it will turn it and want to roll the car off the jack.

Old 04-01-2007, 10:19 PM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

both wheels were off the ground, and im a scrawny *** kid. and i wasnt cranking on it either since it was on the jack in the air. will changing the fluid help? i also noticed that if i turn right and step on it, it usually does a one wheel burn out, but if i turn left and step on it, it kicks sideways.

Old 04-01-2007, 10:19 PM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

both wheels were off the ground, and im a scrawny *** kid. and i wasnt cranking on it either since it was on the jack in the air. will changing the fluid help? i also noticed that if i turn right and step on it, it usually does a one wheel burn out, but if i turn left and step on it, it kicks sideways.

Old 04-02-2007, 01:32 AM
2nd Gear member

if one wheel spins when turning to the right and both spin when turning left , it's acking like a open diff. , changing the fluid may help, but it may make it worse because the clutch material in the fluid may be helping the clutches grab. sounds like it may be time for a rebuild or replacement.

Old 04-02-2007, 02:40 AM
Overdrive Member

Are you sure you have a limited slip? If so how many bolts are in the rear cover? If you have 9 then you got a BW Limited Slip and its a cone style.

Old 04-02-2007, 09:34 PM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

i keep forgetting to count them. if its the typical rear end (10 bolt, right?), can you guys give me a link to a rebuild kit? all i have been able to find so far were from the aftermarket companies for their gears. and when i do it, do i have to take out the ring gear and have to re-align everything?

also, i do some street racing. ive noticed my left tire is worn a lil more. i mounted up some **** tires yesterday for burnouts, and the left side is more chewed up than the right side.

Old 04-02-2007, 11:06 PM
2nd Gear member

i can't find anything on the 7.5....i found EVERYTHING for the 8.2 10bolt and crap loads of stuff for the 8.5.......but no clutches for the 7.5 , i can find complete carriers , bearings , gears , shims , seals , and crush sleeves and basic rebuild kits but nothing for the LSD.

Old 04-03-2007, 12:10 AM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

well damn. ill check jegs to see if they have their own brand. maybe a mini spool will work best since im on a very tight budget. now how much strain will that put on the axles? i plan on a few more mods (intake componants, ignition, headers and y-pipe, chip) and its a tpi engine (so maybe around 250 hp)?

Quick Reply: is my posi going bad?