is my engine seized ???

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2006, 10:01 PM
Default is my engine seized ???

hey big question im riding an 88 2.8 camaro. just in a course of 2 days this is what happens......

im driving the whole day .get to my freiends house and bam ! my alternator smokes and its fried....next day i bottom out goin over rail road traxx must of smashed my exhaust and oil pan,,,, i hear a hard knockin .... i had no power at all and it kept stallin.. today it broke down had it towed and theres a lil puddle of oil there and i exchanged the alternator that i just bought,. well even the new one does the same thing..... when i go to start it ., the alternator just make a 1/4 turn,. and at first the car made a slow crank, until it stopped completly... im not tryin put money into it, any body know what it could be ..... i just need the car for a few more weeks

Old 08-11-2006, 10:25 PM
Default RE: is my engine seized ???

my battery is charged and new, my alternator is brand new,.,,,,, if its not those two what is a major reason why my car cranks really slow then stops....then when i try again the alternator jus makes a 1/4 turn and stops ????

Old 08-11-2006, 10:34 PM
1st Gear Member

If the starter doesn't have enough cranking amps it is possible to make a partial turn and stop. Cables then.If the starter has a bad armature it may not be able to use the available amps then stop mid turn. Try having your hand next to the positive or negative cables near the battery. If they are getting hot you may have a fried positive or negative cable. Might explain why the Alt went up in smoke.

If your concerned the motor went south. Easy test to do would be put a breaker bar with the correct size socket on the harmonic balancer and turn the motor over by hand. If it will turn. If it does turn semi-easily then take the belts off and spin the pulleys on the motor, see if they are siezed up.

Try those and see what happens

Old 08-11-2006, 10:35 PM
3rd Gear Member

sounds to me that maybe a hot wire has melted to some metal and you have a dead short. make sure the battery cable isn't melted against the exhaust. you may very well have bearing siezure issues. since you just fried your alternator tho, i'm thinking it's a wiring issue. you may have burnt the brushes in the starter. sick

Old 08-12-2006, 06:16 PM
Tech Droid

Being that you said oil was leaking after you slammed the railroad tracks, have you checked the oil?? No oil in pan = seized engine.

Old 08-13-2006, 02:52 PM

well when the car was towed back, some oil was still dripping so not completly drained. also now its just cranking really slow but no start and after cranking it for like more than 5 seconds i smell a stong gas smell . i get the feeling now im not gettin gas,,,,,damn idk what happened, i swear the freakin area i live in. f*** up my car... maybe its not gettin gas if i smell it so bad ...i dont see any thing leakin

Old 08-13-2006, 11:07 PM
In the Staging Lanes

pull the dipstick out and check for oil, dont take that long, and if you smell gas, its most likely your gettin gas to the motor, or when u did the dukes of hazard over the railroad you might have hurt the fuel line, maybe, pull a wire off and stick a flat head in it and put it next to the valve cover or intake or someting and have someone crank it to see if it has spark.