Muffler Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 03:56 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Muffler Question

well some ******* decided he wanted rear-end my car today on purpose. He scratched my bumper, and bent my tail pipe. Just wondering what brand muffler sounds the best on these cars cuz now i have to get one. ( btw i hit the guy in the head twice with a wrench )

Old 10-05-2009, 04:47 PM
1st Gear Member

weird, why hit your car on purpose ? only twice ?

Old 10-05-2009, 06:02 PM
In the Staging Lanes

im pretty sure one more would've killed him. The EMS was called, put him on a stretcher, and taken to the hospital. Me and the guy have had previous arguments but hitting my camaro really set me off.

Old 10-05-2009, 07:19 PM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

i personally loved the sound of the straight pipe i had and just about everyone else did too. well except old ladies, small children, and wild animals. a muffler eliminator can be purchased on ebay for about $40. if you dont want it that loud, i personally like the sound of the magnaflow mufflers. rich, deep, smooth sound. flowmaster makes it sound rough and mean, and often its raspy, but it makes it sound like it has work done engine wise.

Old 10-05-2009, 07:51 PM
August 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I'm running a Flowmaster 80 series designed for our cars. Honestly, it's an overall good muffler. Quiet at idle, roars when you punch it, nice and raspy while cruising but no drone.

However it's just a little too quiet, and maybe a little too raspy for me. I think I'll be going with a Magnaflow next time around.

Sound clips:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxOsEj4l2IM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVrjWW80blw

Old 10-05-2009, 09:16 PM
In the Staging Lanes

yea the flowmaster is AMAZING but if your wanting something a little louder...defiantly go with the 80 series and no cat..if you have emissions usually if you spend so much on an exhaust system for example

in tennesse where im at you have to have a catalytic converter or it wont pass... but we found out from the exhaust shop i took it to that if you spend a certain amout on your year such as my year (200) on a system and it still doesnt pass "technically" since you paid the 200 it has to pass cuz you tried to get it to pass and you can prove with receipts showing how/when you got your set up..so the people we took it to said they would just put a gutted cat on since it will already pass emissions.

btw my exhaust system is stock pipe from headers to cat is 2.25 for now then from cat to muffler is 3 inch and from muffler coming on both sides is 3 inch..the only reason i have the 2 1/4 on it still is becuase im getting a 350 dropped in it soon and i dont want them to have to refit it with the different size headers (shorty's) so ill keep the stock one's on for another few months till i get my new engine save a bit of money

btw if you do the gutted cat thing make sure you dont go to a maxi muffler shop or pep boys or any big kind of exhaust shop because they wont do that for you. its illegal and also they want to jipp you usually on that kind of stuff so find good local stuff and tell them what you want and its more likely will happen

but i would be sure and do 3 inch pipe if you have a 350 or a somewhat built up engine guttted cat and the 80 series flowmaster!

good luck hope this was a bit of help

Old 10-07-2009, 03:43 PM
1st Gear Member
Location: IN, or hell whichever, wait, its too cold to be hell

I am partial to the 40 series flowmaster. loud inside and out. http://www.jegs.com/p/Flowmaster/Flo...30933/10002/-1

says that it is the loudest in the flowmaster line. but it is only if you are going single in/out or dual.

Last edited by adirtypoostick; 10-07-2009 at 03:45 PM.
Old 10-07-2009, 05:13 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Update.

Today i noticed that my exhaust pipes were leaning down so far that they were hitting the ground, so i figured i would cut them because im getting a new muffler anyway. And to my surprise the 305 sounded amazing. My question is would running it like this hurt the motor, like not enough back pressure or what? And im not sure if it's even legal.

Old 10-07-2009, 05:14 PM
In the Staging Lanes

incase of misunderstanding, i cut the pipe off the muffler so its coming straight out of the muffler.

Old 10-07-2009, 07:28 PM
3rd Gear Member

Good old fashioned cherry bombs. Sometimes my Camaro sounds better than My Harley. They give the same deep, throaty rumble but no obnoxious raspy sounds.

Quick Reply: Muffler Question