More engine bay space. A/C pulley

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 07:55 PM
1st Gear Member
Default More engine bay space. A/C pulley

Is this for the A/C and can I remove it or atleast remove the belt.

Old 06-27-2009, 08:54 PM
March 2008 ROTM

everything circled is AC related. You can remove it sure. But what for? If you plan on selling it, ever, your price drops..

Old 06-27-2009, 11:35 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 350rs
everything circled is AC related. You can remove it sure. But what for? If you plan on selling it, ever, your price drops..
My A/C does not work. Tried a recharge but still doesnt work. I want to remove it so It's less cluttered. Thanks for the confirmation. I don't think I'll ever sell the car.

Old 06-28-2009, 12:41 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by Mesosneaky
...I don't think I'll ever sell the car.
Famous last words! The day will come, trust me. It appears that you have a leak in the system that is probably too costly for you to sink money into the car to pay for a fix? Yes, you can remove it. But I would take the stuff off carefully, save everything, and cap off the lines to seal the system from the weather. If you leave the lines open, humidity will ruin it completely. Since the car originally came with A/C, it can make a difference in how much you get when you go to sell it, but including all the parts to get it back together will help the sale.

Old 06-28-2009, 01:51 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
Famous last words! The day will come, trust me. It appears that you have a leak in the system that is probably too costly for you to sink money into the car to pay for a fix? Yes, you can remove it. But I would take the stuff off carefully, save everything, and cap off the lines to seal the system from the weather. If you leave the lines open, humidity will ruin it completely. Since the car originally came with A/C, it can make a difference in how much you get when you go to sell it, but including all the parts to get it back together will help the sale.
thanks ya thats the plan.

Old 06-28-2009, 12:00 PM
March 2008 ROTM

thats very true. Much easier to make something that use to have AC have it again. I never did like how they put the compressor on the drivers side like that. More mess than good. You could try and get a serp setup off of one that has it on the passenger side. Its not so bad then.

Old 06-28-2009, 03:50 PM
1st Gear Member

Ok its removed Ill post a pic up soon. Should it eliminate a little bit of drag on the engine too? Thanks for looking. I also got my 350 sb for 90 bucks I still need to get some pictures up. All help appreciated.

Old 06-28-2009, 07:59 PM
1st Gear Member

Is this a 88 iroc? thats what I was told. Whats with the oil filter and hoses can someone spread some light?

Old 06-29-2009, 12:05 AM
March 2008 ROTM

oil cooler. Coolant runs through those lines. You can keep it or take it off. makes no major difference.

Old 06-29-2009, 08:03 AM
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mesosneaky

Is this for the A/C and can I remove it or atleast remove the belt.

I flat out can't understand why you'd do that. Who cares if its cluttered? You are just going to to end up ruining an otherwise pretty good looking set up. Drag on the motor? Yes, but you'll never notice the difference without the unit on there. If you have such a big problem with it, just de-belt it so you'll at least retain the stock parts.

By the way, that A/C system is very easy to fix and as long as all the parts work, it is usually just a few seals and then you're good to go.

Quick Reply: More engine bay space. A/C pulley