low vacuum on 305 build up(please help)

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 12:27 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default low vacuum on 305 build up(please help)

Alright well i used to have a account (camaroboy69) here but it wont let me on so here i am havnt been here sense before winter.
and i have got my project up and running

i have a 89 camaro 305 tbi and with 2.73 gears
and i have installed a comp cam with these specs
Brand:COMP CamsProduct Line:COMP Cams Xtreme Energy Cam and Lifter KitsPart Type:Camshaft and Lifter KitsPart Number:CCA-CL08-501-8Cam Style:Hydraulic roller tappetBasic Operating RPM Range:1,200-5,200Intake Duration at 050 inch Lift:212Exhaust Duration at 050 inch Lift:218Duration at 050 inch Lift:212 int./218 exh.Advertised Intake Duration:264Advertised Exhaust Duration:269Advertised Duration:264 int./269 exh.Intake Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio:0.488 in.Exhaust Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio:0.495 in.Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio:0.488 int./0.495 exh. liftLobe Separation (degrees):112Intake Valve Lash:0.000 in.Exhaust Valve Lash:0.000 in.Grind Number:XR264HRComputer-Controlled Compatible:YesLifters Included:YesLifter Style:Hydraulic roller

and i have a set of 305 h.o heads they have 58cc with z28 springs that have .550 max lift
i also have got a prom custom made from jet performance.
the timing is set at 0 without the ecm plugged in when plugged in it will move to about 12 degrees. which the prom is doing what its supose to.
and well i have got it all running and well i have a low vacuum.
it was at about 10 and it would increase when the rpms did as normal.
but i need to get it up im thinking because the engine has a lack of power at low rpms

lets just say i have done all this and i cant even brake the tires loose if i try...

well this has led me to believe that i am to over cammed for the size of engine..

so from what i have told you do you guys believe that the vacuum has alot to do with it?
or where do you guys think i should look for the problem.
please help. im lost for where to look im 16 and this was my first engine build and it turned out pretty good except for the lack of power..

Old 04-14-2009, 10:45 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Low vacuum is a by-product of a radical cam, but I don't consider yours terribly "radical." Vacuum isn't a performance enhancer.
A few questions:
1) What is the stock timing setting for your engine supposed to be, as stated on your under-hood sticker? I don't know the exact specs of yours without looking it up. Does it want to be advanced before TDC, by chance? Or with the new cam, it may want to be more advanced now.
2) What source are you checking your vacuum from? Manifold vacuum drops as the rpm's go up.
3) Are you sure your valve lash isn't set too tight?

Old 04-14-2009, 08:14 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Do you still have the Cat on it? Somethimes a pluged Cat will show up as low vacuum/Low power.

Old 04-15-2009, 11:27 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
Low vacuum is a by-product of a radical cam, but I don't consider yours terribly "radical." Vacuum isn't a performance enhancer.
A few questions:
1) What is the stock timing setting for your engine supposed to be, as stated on your under-hood sticker? I don't know the exact specs of yours without looking it up. Does it want to be advanced before TDC, by chance? Or with the new cam, it may want to be more advanced now.
2) What source are you checking your vacuum from? Manifold vacuum drops as the rpm's go up.
3) Are you sure your valve lash isn't set too tight?

i know that the vacuum isnt a performance enhancer but with a high vacuum the engine runs smoother. (not trying to sound like a smart A**)

1. the stock timing was a 0' i have been playing around with the timing this last week and i have tryed the timing at these places -4, 0, 2, 4, 6, 8, 12, and im at 12 now and it runs the best so far. i have to do a little modding to the chip it runs a little rich at low rpms and leans out around 3500 but pulls the hardest from 3500 to 5000 rpms. where should i go on the fuel mix?
im tempted to set at 16...? a couple of ppl told me thats where it should be at.( but i dont listen to everything i hear)
2. im checking it off of a recerculation in the tbi.??( should i be checking some otherplace?)

3. Well i followed the haynes manual on that one.. (i just did them in the correct order and did 3/4 of a turn when the push rod got enough resistance.) i was going to check that as soon as i had time
I think im going to do them the old fashon way with the valve covers off and turn them till they stop clattering...?

when the timing was set at anything under 6' i couldn't even break the tires loose. at a stop... this is where i started thinking im abit radical on the cam.
its just makes me dissapointed sense this is my first engine built up and it isnt going soo well and i just invested enough of my money and time but i wont give up lol

Old 04-15-2009, 11:44 PM
In the Staging Lanes

sounds like the cam timing is off, what timing gears did you use? if you used a set that has 3 differant keyways you could have used the wrong mark. If ou have to advance the IGN timing you are trying to catch the cam. just an idea keep us posted, and yes I have made this mistake myself.

Old 04-19-2009, 10:26 PM
In the Staging Lanes

yeah i though about that and well i took a look at it but it was set up right and i used a comp double roller chain and gears. and i have them both on 0'
well i have cam a lil ways with it i found it reacts the best at 8 degrees and getts good lower and upper rpms.
well i the vacuum is doing ok so far. it runs at about 16 at idle and hits 18 at 1700rpms and will pull 20 to 21 at 3 grand does this sound about right or a lil low???