loss of coolant

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 11:51 PM
Smile loss of coolant

Thanks craby and green arrow for the welcome

update on "Rusty" is we still have not been to my mechanic yet (had to buy a Hot water heater instead)
But I did take some pics for yall and I have a couple questions.
I do know of one hose that is coming out of the firewall that I think may be the reason it is going thru antifreeze.

Name:  Rusty8.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  22.6 KB

Name:  Rusty7.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  25.0 KB

also I am eyeballing the hose..does it look bubbled out to yall?
Name:  Rusty6.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  29.8 KB
and when I squeeze it I can hear a little noise at that hose (prolly squeezed more coolant out each time I did that

can any of yall tell me a little more about this hose? Like how far down does it go under the car and does it attach to the water pump? The guy at Napa said that there is a copper pipe and then a rubber hose over it. It looks like maybe who had it before me, put three clamps on it to try to hold the hose on. I don't know but this is where I need to start.

Also I had another guy tell me that possibly the radiator that is in it may not be the right one or size. Here is a pic of it. It looks like it came from the pulla part with the numbers on it.

Name:  Rusty5.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  27.3 KB

I have some more pics I will upload them to my album
Thanks
Carol

Last edited by chevysnfirst; 01-08-2012 at 11:52 PM. Reason: resized pics
Old 01-09-2012, 09:51 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

i went ahead and moved this post to the third gen section and started a thread for you. the guys here will give you good help. the hoses going to the firewall are for the heater core and very well could be the area where the loss of coolant is. would be good to do a pressure test on the cooling system and see if pressuring the system will lead you to the problem area. you can rent a cooling system pressure tester at most parts stores.

Old 01-09-2012, 11:18 AM

Thanks craby!

Old 01-10-2012, 01:02 PM

can anyone post a couple pics of their radiator for me? I am curious to see what size you have.
Thanks!

Old 01-10-2012, 01:21 PM
3rd Gear Member

You have a stock radiator. Although I am unsure why your car has been converted to a belt driven clutch fan and not an electric fan. You are also missing the top radiator mount along with a shroud. That is not a desired set up at all. My guess is if you clean the cooling system and install a properly wired electric fan with shroud you will have no problems keeping it to the recommended temp ranges.

Old 01-10-2012, 05:38 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

the shroud missing will cause the motor to run hotter. is the air dam underneath still there. thats needed also.

Old 01-11-2012, 03:43 AM

There is actually another smaller fan that used to work when you turned the lights on
(the fan was wired to the hi beams I think. but I do not hear it come on anymore when I pull the **** on)
This car was rigged when I got it and then my former boyfriend did some more rigging to it. I seem to remember him and my son putting the bigger fan in it when we first bought it.
And yes I was wondering about the fan shroud and the missing mount that is needed probably explains where he was going with the silver tape.

Old 01-11-2012, 03:49 AM

Originally Posted by craby
the shroud missing will cause the motor to run hotter. is the air dam underneath still there. thats needed also.
I will check and see if the air dam is under there..for some reason..I am thinking I have seen it in the back of the car

Old 01-11-2012, 11:13 AM
3rd Gear Member

Then you have a mess on your hands. With no shroud, that clutch fan is most likely pretty inefficient...that is even if its turning the right way. It sounds like you need a new electric fan setup that is correct for the car in both amp draw and CFM....along with a shroud if not included in the fan setup and the air dam put back in place. It appears someone hacked into wiring that not intended to be hacked into. The fan should be independent of other wiring sources as you may draw too many amps and blow a fuse (best case) or melt down a switch and wires. You may need to bring it to someone qualified to have it repaired correctly. I am not a big fan of manually switched on fans, so I have a rheostatic switch as well as a backup manual switch in case I feel like I would like it on all the time. This does appear that it will cost a few bucks to have repaired correctly.

Old 01-11-2012, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by djs383
Then you have a mess on your hands. With no shroud, that clutch fan is most likely pretty inefficient...that is even if its turning the right way. It sounds like you need a new electric fan setup that is correct for the car in both amp draw and CFM....along with a shroud if not included in the fan setup and the air dam put back in place. It appears someone hacked into wiring that not intended to be hacked into. The fan should be independent of other wiring sources as you may draw too many amps and blow a fuse (best case) or melt down a switch and wires. You may need to bring it to someone qualified to have it repaired correctly. I am not a big fan of manually switched on fans, so I have a rheostatic switch as well as a backup manual switch in case I feel like I would like it on all the time. This does appear that it will cost a few bucks to have repaired correctly.
thanks for the advice..it appears my next student loan will be split between my Vic and the Camaro. fml

Quick Reply: loss of coolant