Looking for opinions on this 83 z28 Camaro.

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 09:43 PM
Default Looking for opinions on this 83 z28 Camaro.

Hello world,

First post on this forum, as you may see my account was just made so yeah.

Well to business, im 17, and looking for my first personal car. Ive always loved classic vehicles, and i really am liking the design of the 3rd generation camaros. I am in no way a vehicle expert, but i have people who could show/help me with any problems that arise with a classic car.

Well here is the link to the vehicle im considering:
1983 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 Restored with Ttops - Koops Automotive

I think its a decent price, it has been fully rebuilt and has a new engine with about 2000 miles on it, the body is in great condition and underneath rust is minimal. The engine is a chevy 355, or a 350 bored out 030 over. I know what boreing an engine is, and i know it will increase power, but will also increase gas usage. They also put a new holley carb in it, Keep in mind, its the classic car look/feel im interested in, it doesnt matter to me if its all original or not.

So, my 2 big questions....

1. Good price? worth the cash? should i talk them down a bit?

2. With the holley and the 355 engine, what kind of gas milage should i expect? (big deal, poor student here) stock z28s from 83 are said to be 18 cty 24 hwy, but this is not stock.

Thanks for reading and helping a newbie out.

Old 09-02-2011, 01:38 PM
4th Gear Member

nah, you don't bore an engine to increase power. It was bored because the cylinders were worn.

Do you need air conditioning because it's been removed from that car. It's not a cheap task to reinstall it and also the fan has been bastardized as well.

I also don't see cruise cintrol but that's not a big thing

At 17 you should not be asking us. You know who you should be asking and let them ask you why it's a wise idea for a kid to have a 29 year old car as his first vehicle?

I'd rather see you in a vehicle with better crumple zones and air bags for your first car

Old 09-02-2011, 04:25 PM
2nd Gear member

Nah man^ not all kids are stupid.

Thats a very nice clean looking third gen dude. im 18 and got my first maro at 14, had 4 third gens since, love them all.

You'll look legit driving around in that king ! GET IT!

Old 09-02-2011, 04:35 PM

Air conditioning is not a deal breaker, but how can you tell? the photo of the interior console is pretty blurry but i think the control panel for the a/c is still there. So the effect on gas usage with a 355 would be a minimal change from a 350? and is it necessarily a bad thing that the fan is bastardized?

Old 09-02-2011, 04:37 PM
2nd Gear member

The a/c isnt hooked up in the engine bay

Old 09-02-2011, 04:40 PM
3rd Gear Member

Some closer inspection should be done if you are going to pay 7G for it. What is the weakest link? Trans/rear end? How are the breaks? Does it need to pass an emission test? Cost of insurance? I've had my Iroc since 94' and the insurance was pretty rough when I was your age. If its truly the car you want, get it. If its not at least 95% of what you want...pass and you'll find another very soon.

Old 09-02-2011, 05:01 PM

wow, that was pretty stupid of me, yeah a/c is not hooked up in those pics, since im not an expert on this stuff (as you can tell) ill make sure i have a 3rd party professional inspect it before even considering buying it. Insurance will be fairly high, 17, 83 sports car, big engine..... yeah, it will cost me a bit one way or the other.

Old 09-02-2011, 07:30 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by squeakers241
wow, that was pretty stupid of me, yeah a/c is not hooked up in those pics, since im not an expert on this stuff (as you can tell) ill make sure i have a 3rd party professional inspect it before even considering buying it. Insurance will be fairly high, 17, 83 sports car, big engine..... yeah, it will cost me a bit one way or the other.
incorrect

first, the a/c compressor isn't even under the hood, it's gone.

2nd, why is the cooling fan bastardized? If it's to allow it to turn on earlier then OK but if your folks buy this, and you want A/C, then you'll need to re-wire so the fan engages when the A/C is on. And, assume the entire A/C system is shot becuase it wasn't sealed so you'll spend some $$$$

last- insurance isn't expensive because of it being a "sports car" . It's because you are an inexperienced male driver. Liability insurance is what will cost your folks the most and insurance will be in their name because you can't get a policy at your age. The vehicle is irrelevant. When my son was 16 it cost me a whopping $43 more per year because I had a Z28 in my stable vs a Toyota pickup

if your folks have any assets, be it a home, stock, savings, a job then I suggest that they take out as much liability insurance as they can afford. $50,000 or $100,000 will not even scrape the surface of what a lawyer will try to get should you end up whacking someone with the car. Plan on paying $140-$200 per month depending where you live.

Old 09-02-2011, 07:31 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by c4maro
Nah man^ not all kids are stupid.

. im 18
thanks, I needed that laugh

I knew it all too when I was a teenager

Old 09-02-2011, 08:16 PM

Ok, now that my auto knowledge is obvious, how many mpg do you guys think this thing will get?

Quick Reply: Looking for opinions on this 83 z28 Camaro.