Just got my camaro.. won't start sometimes (problems already)

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 10:07 PM

So its the black tube with the white-ish rod in it right above the pedal? Also i fired it up and let it run and while the hood was up i noticed a relatively loud knock coming from the left side of the block it is a repeating noise like a (excuse my poor description) "click click click clunk click click click clunk" it clicks/clunks every 1/2 second or so at idle and it gets louder and faster when i open the throttle... *sigh* i think i may have some problems on my hands here.

Last edited by Sanman; 01-13-2010 at 10:14 PM. Reason: i forget things from time to time
Old 01-13-2010, 10:14 PM
March 2008 ROTM

last pic by the larger black box. see the smaller rectangular piece? thats your clutch safety switch. You can either hardwire it together like i did, OR replace it and do it right.

Old 01-13-2010, 10:15 PM
March 2008 ROTM

Originally Posted by Sanman
So its the black tube with the white-ish rod in it right above the pedal? Also i fired it up and let it run and while the hood was up i noticed a relatively loud knock coming from the left side of the block it is a repeating noise like a (excuse my poor description) "click click click clunk click click click clunk" it clicks/clunks every 1/2 second or so at idle and it gets louder and faster when i open the throttle... *sigh* i think i may have some problems on my hands here.
more of a tick or a click? almost sounds like a exhaust leak, but that " clunk " throws me for a loop.

Old 01-13-2010, 10:17 PM
Default hmm

is it possible to just tape it down (kinda) and see if that works? before doing any welding/soldering or permanent measures

Old 01-13-2010, 10:19 PM
2nd Gear member

oh my, is it like valve tap sound? lol i dont mean to make u seem dumb...but it has oil right? lol a girl at my job drove her car there making an AWFUL noise (she has an 06 Catillac STS) and she had NO oil in it lol i dont know how she made it there

Old 01-13-2010, 10:19 PM
March 2008 ROTM

its like a 15 dollar piece and takes about 45 seconds to replace with that panel off. I guess you could tape it down, but that probably wont fix your problem. Those things just wear out.

Old 01-14-2010, 08:21 AM
Default Wow.

I just keep feeling dumber and dumber guys. sorry if i get ya guys frustrated with me but muscle is like speaking korean to me i am a street bike graduate lol. always had bikes so all this stuff is news to me. as for the oil i will check that out when i wake up today haha just got off work (work graveyards) and i'll get back to you on it cause it's kinda dark and i am a little sleepy. from what i can gather by the way it seems isolated on the left side so i am thinking it is a rocker arm/cam/valve issue. later today i was gonna pull off the cover and check it out. which again is new to me haha.

Also is this deal too good to be true or am i just reading something wrong here?
http://www.jrmotorsports.com/product...3FA753D6AB6145

and does anyone know whats the best i can do on a budget for rocker arms and pushrods? if they need to be replaced. I found some on jegs

pretty much was going with these if i need to replace 'em
RODS - http://www.jegs.com/i/Comp+Cams/249/7812-16/10002/-1
ROCKERS - http://www.jegs.com/i/Proform/778/66926C/10002/-1

Last edited by Sanman; 01-14-2010 at 09:17 AM. Reason: added: WALL OF TEXT!!!!
Old 01-14-2010, 09:49 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

If you don't have a bent pushrod, you don't need to mess with them. That link you gave, at the bottom it says "price is each". $1.09 for a set of 16 can't be right.
From what you describe, your noise is most likely a lifter. You can pull the valve covers off and see if you have any rockers that have a sloppy setting, maybe you'll get lucky.

Old 01-14-2010, 10:38 AM

SANMAN-security ignition passkey, umm quick question, have u got any knowledge about this security thing. my car barely turns on anymore cuz of this security lite that will never go away, i mean i can start my car sometimes like its nuthin but more then normal it comes on and i cant start my car. like everyday...i do not kno anything about this retarded f'n lite and i need some help....i was reading tha conv and i did the same thing with the battery, ive reset the computer ya kno, i cant figure this thing out. SOMEONE HELP ME...thanx

Old 01-14-2010, 11:01 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

xx u need to start a thread explaining your problem and u will get a good response. need to tell what yr and model your car is also get it in the right gen.

Quick Reply: Just got my camaro.. won't start sometimes (problems already)