Camaro Forums - Chevy Camaro Enthusiast Forum

Camaro Forums - Chevy Camaro Enthusiast Forum (https://camaroforums.com/forum/)
-   82-92 General (https://camaroforums.com/forum/82-92-general-10/)
-   -   Just got this car Help quick plx! (https://camaroforums.com/forum/82-92-general-10/just-got-car-help-quick-plx-48738/)

86CamaroMan08 02-10-2010 04:30 PM

Just got this car Help quick plx!

Alright, I've just bought this 1986 Camaro for 1.1k, and for some reason when I hit the breaks fast/to hard it kills the car and won't allow it to come back on for about 10-12mins... I called the Chevy dealer and they don't know what could be causing this... any helpful advice guys?

mtn_maro 02-10-2010 05:39 PM

details on the car? is it the quadrajet carb or fuel injection.

86CamaroMan08 02-10-2010 06:19 PM

Fuel injection.

86CamaroMan08 02-10-2010 07:30 PM

Fuel Injection, with a v6. It's automatic. It don't look horrible but I'm not sure if this was a smart buy or not because of this brake problem. Because if I fix this once I figure out what it is.. it may not be all that is causing this break down.

Camaro 69 02-10-2010 07:41 PM

Let's start with an obvious question. How much gas is in the tank? And does it make a difference between a full tank or a near empty tank?

cplthomas 02-10-2010 08:03 PM

Good question 69. I am wondering if it doesnt have anything to do with the vac line from the brake booster to the engine.

Camaro 69 02-10-2010 08:29 PM

Good question cpl. I am also wondering if it could be a loose wire connection getting jostled, one related to either the ignition or fuel pump.

86CamaroMan08 02-10-2010 08:30 PM

Honestly guys when it comes to cars I'm lost except out to sit down, buckle up and floor it.. but in this cars case I've been nothing but easy. And no it doesn't full tank will still die if brake is shoved in too hard. My neighbor said it might be a switch in the brake pedal but I don't know if this could be or not. And @ the vac line I'm not sure either. Because I mean the brakes work great, but when you push them down to quick, or to hard it kills it. And you can't restart it at all unless you weight around 10+mins. Well more feedback please guys, your already starting to help with the vac line question being brought up. Like I said I'm not very car inclined but I am not afraid to get out there and try if you give me pointers, diagrams, websites to read up on, I can research like a mofo :D lol. This is a add on, I didn't even think about the possibility of a loose wire being jolted.. And I do believe it may have something to do with the fuel pump, I really hate these fuel injections bah!

1987IROCZ 02-10-2010 11:00 PM

y isnt it starting? does it act like a dead battery or does it jsut turn over and over lik its not getting fuel...wen u hit the brakes does it die and all ur warning light and everyhting come on it does everything die...lights radio everything?...

cplthomas 02-11-2010 12:17 AM

If it is idling and you slam on the brakes what happens? I am asking if its an 'in motion' issue or does it happen just sitting still too?