installing edelbrock headers

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2007, 12:45 AM
1st Gear Member
Default installing edelbrock headers

Hey guys I was considering buying some edelbrock headers and y-pipe they are ceramic coated and accepts all stock emissions parts. They're running for $399. My question is how exactly to do install these headers? If someone could give me some very brief and condenced instructions just so I will have some idea that would be great. Thanks.

Old 01-24-2007, 06:40 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: installing edelbrock headers

bro its so simple its not even funny where do u live. id rather tell u over aim oryahoo or something

Old 01-24-2007, 09:52 AM
1st Gear Member

i live in chicago, and my aim is moneytalksacdc4. so when im on just im me.

Old 01-24-2007, 06:14 PM
1st Gear Member

Well any other instant intructions would be helpful thanks.

Old 01-24-2007, 06:53 PM
2nd Gear member

Well It would more than likely require weilding. That would be the hardest part.

Other than that its just removing the stock exhaust manifolds and putting the headers in their place.. prob about 8-14 bolts (not sure exactly how many)to remove and possiable some pipe cutting.

Old 01-24-2007, 07:03 PM
March 2008 ROTM

8 bolts on each side. old exhaust manifolds come off somewhat easy. May need some penetrateing oil. Best to spray all the bolts, let it soak, spray again. Do this several times. A broken bolt in there sucks to take out. Once out, i found it best to take the right motor mount bolt out and jack up that side ( passenger side) a few inches, JUST enough to slip in the header. Put in all the bolts on that side and tighten. Lower the motor and reinstall that bolt, MAKE SURE ITS TIGHT! Then move over to the drivers side, this one you can just unbolt, take out, and replace with the header. Little tricky, but not to bad. The most difficult thing for me was getting ALL 16 of the bolts tight. Start the car when its all attached and ready. Be ready for some smoke and a terrible smell. It happens, NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT, untill you see flames. Also, check all your plug wires, and any other wires, make sure they got a pretty good gap between them and the pipes. Use a ziptie to keep them away if needed.
Once the car is heated fully, let it run a few min. Turn it off, and let it cool, do this a few times if you wish. The bolts will loosen up because of the heating and contracting of the block and headers. Tightin the bolts and repeat the process. I have had a hell of a time sealing the collector to the y-pipe, still dont have it. Too cold to mess with for now and since its not hurting me to bad, im letting it slide for now. But thats pretty much all there is to it. nice and simple. Dont forget about your cat. might as well replace it when your down there and got everything apart anyway. I got my headers and a new high flow cat for about 525. Not to bad i suppose.

Old 01-24-2007, 08:48 PM
1st Gear Member

Hey thanks a lot 350rs. I just installed a new high flow cat and I have easy access to a welder if needed, but my question is, do I have to jack up the engine because i dont have an engine jack; or could I just try to slip them in there or go underneath the car. Thanks.

Old 01-24-2007, 09:03 PM
In the Staging Lanes

350rs, the best thing I've found for a good seal between the header collectors and y-pipe is to buy the copper gaskets. They are awesome and don't leak at all. I highly recommend them.

Old 01-24-2007, 09:32 PM
March 2008 ROTM

well no, but that means takin all kinds of hoses and all sorts of other things outta the way, for me it was easier to just pop that bolt and jack it up.

are they for the "dome" style? they arent the kind held together with 3 bolts, its two and the collector has a "dome" that fits into a "bowl" on the y-pipe. i woulda already bought some gaskets if they were the other kind, but since they arent... kinda limited, i might have to ghetto rig something to work soon if i cant find a real fix for it

Old 01-24-2007, 09:36 PM
1st Gear Member

why the hell would it require welding to putin fuccin headers.

Quick Reply: installing edelbrock headers