Im stuck on a couple problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 06:35 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Im stuck on a couple problems

I just purchased a 91 RS with 125k on body. 2" cowl induction hood and American racing rims.

The engine was replaced with a 350 TBI. It has edelbrock headers with the air tubes on them. My question is there is a AIR pump on the pass side header tubes with a hose coming out about 2 inches to nothing. When the car is running it makes funny puffy sounds coming out of this AIR pump. I know this is prolly suposed to fo to my cat but there is no tube for it. Can i just plug this hose with somthing and be ok?

Problem #2 is that I have a funny noise coming from my engine. I know this sounds very bad and I am hoping that I am just overracting. It isnt loud like a rod knock but it is kind of scary. Im thinking it might just be somthing to do with a vacum leak or maybe the larger cam that was installed. Any input or things to check that might be able to narrow the noise down? Thanks

Old 12-07-2008, 06:36 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Im stuck on a couple problems

Sorry if you guys wanted pics here they are... I will try and take some pics of the engine so I can show you what Im talking about.

Name:  DSCI0190-1.jpg
Views: 18
Size:  7.7 KB

Name:  DSCI0191-1.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  24.2 KB

Old 12-07-2008, 09:48 PM
Overdrive Member

That hose is suposed to make its way to the AIR pump. You are just hearing the gurgle through the one way valve. If you have no inpsection blocked off is fine.

#2 is very vague. Use some hose to your ear to act as a stethescope to localize the noise. You can also put a screwdriver handle to your ear and the tip on an area to amplify it to find where its coming from.

Old 12-07-2008, 10:03 PM
1st Gear Member

Hey Mike... I am thinking it might be the rockers. I read somewhere on here that when you replace the cam the stock rockers sometimes cannot handle the power and they bend? Do you think that the noise I'm hearing might be just normal due to the cam that is in the car? I will contact the guy I bought it from and ask him what cam is in it.

Old 12-08-2008, 02:59 AM
Overdrive Member

I would think that would make an obnoxious rattle from 16 rockers maybe hitting the valve springs or some thing

Old 12-08-2008, 07:04 AM
1st Gear Member
Location: IN, or hell whichever, wait, its too cold to be hell

That noise you are talking about in #2 could just be a big leak in your exhaust. I blew a chunk out of the gasket on my header while racing a guy and thought I threw a rod.

Old 12-08-2008, 08:50 AM
August 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Hook a vacuum gauge to a vacuum port on the manifold or the base of the carb and check the vacuum at idle. If it's bouncing or not holding a steady vacuum, your valves need adjusted which could be making the noise. Go to the parts store and buy the correct plugs for the rocker oil ports and plug them off, start the engine and loosen the first stud until you hear it tapping. Then place your thumb on the rocker, and tighten it down until you feel the tap is gone. Start by only removing one valve cover, then let it cool off and then do the other side. If you have old valve covers laying around, it's cost effective and even less messy if you just cut part of the valve cover out to allow adjustment.

Old 12-08-2008, 10:30 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks guys but I have no idea how to use a vaccum guage. lol I guess I will ask my neighbor for a little help. He is pretty smart when it comes to Camaros. He has an original unmolested IROC 89. lol 71k

Old 12-09-2008, 07:59 PM
In the Staging Lanes

If you think you have a vacuum leak, the easiest way I found to find the leak is to take a can of carb cleaner, and while your car is running, spray it on places along the vacuum where there can be a leak. If you hit a leak you will notice a change in your RPMs. I actually just came across this today because I suspected I had a leak tried it and found my problem. I.e. I sprayed some carb cleaner on my PCV valve and the RPMs dove so low that it almost stalled. The problem happened to be a cracked grommet. Good luck. I hope you can figure out your problem as easily as I did today

Old 12-10-2008, 05:51 PM
1st Gear Member

Ok guys I think I have a serious problem and I will be going back to the guy I purchased it from... When the car is cold it doesnt make any noise at all. Once its at temperature around 200 degrees it starts to knock.

Quick Reply: Im stuck on a couple problems