i need regulations and such

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2008 | 08:11 PM
|
March 2008 ROTM
Default i need regulations and such

on emissions and safety inspections..

Ive stopped at a handfull of shops around here and its about a 50/50 shot to what i need and dont need. So i want to read and see for MYSELF what i need and dont need if i do this carb swap. If i need to keep all the wireing and all that BS im just gona put a TPI on it. But i would rather go carb for simplicity AND i think it looks cleaner. Anyway, is there a website i could check or a place i could go to get a rules and regs book?

Old 05-24-2008 | 10:54 PM
Tech Droid
Default RE: i need regulations and such

Depends on the state and county you are going to register the car in. Most states have web sites run by the DMV/DOT and find out what the regs are.

Old 05-24-2008 | 11:00 PM
|
March 2008 ROTM

... St. Louis Missouri... you know that man come on. If you get down here im gona be sure to knock you in the head..

Old 05-25-2008 | 06:29 AM
Tech Droid

Here, since you are such a bad ****, this should give you a good start in your quest.
http://www.dnr.mo.gov/gatewayvip/
http://www.dnr.mo.gov/gatewayvip/docs/fs4-gvipfaq.pdf

By the way, I don't plan to go to ST Louis anytime soon, but if you want to knock heads, you can meet me in Brooklyn. We don't do much head knocking here, but we do shoot your knee caps off, give you a nice pair of concrete boots, and take you on a one way fishing trip off to the acid waters at the edge of the continental shelf. LOL

Old 05-25-2008 | 06:39 AM
4th Gear Member

No matter what state you are in Emissions are going to be a way of life. The short of it, is a catalytic converter and a tailpipe test are the minimum to pass. And most coverted carb cars will not pass the tailpipe test for emissions. As stated check your states web site for the emission requirements for your area.

Old 05-25-2008 | 08:23 AM
|
March 2008 ROTM

ORIGINAL: z28pete

Here, since you are such a bad ****, this should give you a good start in your quest.
http://www.dnr.mo.gov/gatewayvip/
http://www.dnr.mo.gov/gatewayvip/docs/fs4-gvipfaq.pdf

By the way, I don't plan to go to ST Louis anytime soon, but if you want to knock heads, you can meet me in Brooklyn. We don't do much head knocking here, but we do shoot your knee caps off, give you a nice pair of concrete boots, and take you on a one way fishing trip off to the acid waters at the edge of the continental shelf. LOL
hahaha niiice. i do need some new shoes.. i thought you were commin to be meet on the 4th??

Black: My car dosent go under the sniffer anymore in this area thats gone for OBD1 cars. Ive been told that i need to keep any and all emissions equipment. which i wasnt thinking of when i got into this project. I figured i could just keep the various sensors in their location but i also learned that they need to be hooked up and everything, meaning i would need to keep the wireing in the bay.. So if thats true, im not going to mess with a carb swap and ill just go TPI.

But ill check those sites. thank pete! lol

Old 05-25-2008 | 08:56 AM
Tech Droid

The first thing they do is a visual check, and if there is stuff missing they will fail the car. The other thing, depending on your location, they perform an actual emission test. Under California regs, which are adopted by other states, such as NY. If the car is computer controlled and built before 1996 it will need, either a idle speed sniffer test ,or a full blown run on the rollers (dyno) with the sniffer stuck in the tail pipe. If the car is OBDII, then the only requirements is that the test scanner show that the check engine lite be off of its own accord. If the check engine lite is forced off with a scanner, it will be picked up during the test,the car will show as not ready for test, and need to be retested at a later time. If the test scanner shows that the check engine lite is commanded on, the test will fail outright. Even if the check engine lite is burned out.

Old 05-25-2008 | 09:01 AM
|
March 2008 ROTM

theres no sniffer man. lol thats why i was 6 months late on renewing my plates is cause i couldnt pass. then they got rid of it and i passed just fine.

Old 05-25-2008 | 01:15 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

So, does your car need to get tested at all any more? Or is that part of what you're trying to find out too?
Here in Illnoise, all cars 1968 and newer used to have to get emissions tested. Pre-'96 with the sniffer/dyno and '96-on through the OBD II port. The only visual inspection they gave was the mirror test to check for a cat (when originally equipped), never opened the hood. If the car passed the rest, you were good to go. Last year, they dropped the pre-96 testing altogether. I think they finally realized that it was too much of a pain to keep testing the older cars, both because of there becoming less and less cars older than '96 on the road, and there were numerous complaints from owners about the testing facilities damaging their cars on the dyno. Only cars 1996 and newer need to get tested now, so anything goes with '95 and older.

Old 05-25-2008 | 11:14 PM
|
March 2008 ROTM

i still undergo safety inspection. and part of that is a visual check on any and all emissions equipment.