How to replace window motor

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2006, 11:04 PM
Tech Droid
Default How to replace window motor

This procedure as provided by Bblock

Replacing the window isn't too difficult. I have two window motor replacements under my belt and the 2nd time was easier than the 1st. To me the biggest hitch is putting the 4 BIG rivets in to hold the assemble to the door. Not a job for a little pop rivet gun. I had to drive to a body shop and borrow one there. Are you familiar with removing the door panel?? That has to come off and I carefully removed the vapor barrier (plastic sticky sheet) so I could reinstall it. It is much easier to have it off and out of the way. I left the window in the up position and had some clamps and rags. I put the rags between the jaws of the clamp and the window to hold the window up and keep the window from getting scratched. You don't want to clamp hard or the window will break. Unplug the motor. There are 4 big rivets that need to be drilled out or cut off with a air powered cut off wheel. I had to drill cause that is all I had access to. If you drill, the center of the rivet is steel. You might be able to take a center punch and hammer and knock out the steel center then drill out the aluminum part. If you can't knock the steel center out just be carefull not to walk off the center. Once the rivets are out the window regulator and motor should now be free sliding in the tracks. There is a track running vertical on the end near the latch. Remove the screw at the bottom of the track. You will have to push the track to get the motor/regulator assembly out thru that opening in the lower left, in just a few minutes. I let the window down 4 or 5 inches to slide the assembly out of the tracks. If you leave the window up, the assembly is somewhat trapped. You can look in the door and move the assembly around in the track to see what I mean. So, the window just needs to come down enough to untrap the assembly. BE CAREFUL letting the window down, nothing is holding it up now and could drop and break. Once the assembly is out of the tracks, position or collapse the X so it is ___ flat. Then you have to work it out the opening in the lower left. It takes a little patience but it will fit, this is where the removal of the screw in the vertical track comes in handy. I moved the vertical track back and inch or so then worked the motor/regulator assembly out. A NOTE OF CAUTION!! On the assembly. THE GEAR IS SPRINGLOADED!! Once the motor is off, it will UNLOAD!!! I'm speaking from experience and am lucky nothing got caugth/cut-off. I just had parts flying across my driveway!!! (Damn parts!) There are 2 big holes that can be lined up and something put thru. You might have to hook power back to the motor and work the holes to line up. But the point is the gear and assembly need to be held together so they don't act like scisors. Now with the assembly out, drill out the 3 or 4 small rivets that hold the motor to the regulator. The new motor will have hardware to attach the motor to the regulator. Now you're ready to put it all back together. I stuck bolts in the rivet hole so I could drive to the body shop. They didn't charge me. I was lucky I guess. They even held the window up for me while I riveted it in.

Good Luck!

< Message edited by Bblock -- 8/3/2006 11:31:26 PM >