How much play should rear axle have? (in/out)

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2006, 11:20 PM
3rd Gear Member
Default How much play should rear axle have? (in/out)

I jacked my car up tonight to see if I had a posi. Both wheels turned same direction! Yeah!

HOWEVER, when I pulled IN and OUT on the tire, I got about 1/4 inch of movement. Clunk clunk, in out. (but not up down or left right, as in the case of a bad bearing.) As if the entire axle was coming in and out. The car also clicks something fierce on low speed turns. Related?

Old 09-07-2006, 12:17 AM
2nd Gear member
Default RE: How much play should rear axle have? (in/out)

Depending on the carrier in the rear, the clicking may just be the differential compensating for the turn. most ratchet type carriers have a rather loud click to them. The play, though, I couldn't tell you, since I've never actually bothered to check it on my own.

Old 09-07-2006, 12:35 AM
Overdrive Member

The'll have some play. 1/4 inch seems like a lot but if you are guesstamating you may be guessing more than it is.

Old 09-07-2006, 01:04 AM
3rd Gear Member

Guesstimating? My super calibrated MkI eyeball could not be off more that a few 8ths of an inch! Humbug to your computerized measuring devices!

Ill open her up in the next few days and check for obvious signs of wear.

Old 09-07-2006, 01:37 AM
2nd Gear member

ORIGINAL: ScottD

Guesstimating? My super calibrated MkI eyeball could not be off more that a few 8ths of an inch! Humbug to your computerized measuring devices!

Ill open her up in the next few days and check for obvious signs of wear.
Wouldn't that mean that you could easily be off MORE than a quarter inch? Sounds like you're as accurate as a K-band gun....

Old 09-07-2006, 02:31 AM
3rd Gear Member

Negative. My My eyes are highly attuned optical devices, able to find even the most minute changes in measurements or discernable perception. (Unless, of course, I happen to be loooking for whatever it was I had in my hands just a minute ago....) [8D]

Seriously, every new bump, squeak and rattle that this car gives off means another day of tearing some part off, just to find that something else is the culprit. I havnt turned wrenches for 'fun' in almost 15 years. I just need to keep reminding myself that this is supposed to be fun.......

Old 09-07-2006, 02:42 AM
3rd Gear Member

You have a c-clip holding the axle in, the amount or movement is normal. The clicking is the clutches in the posi. Change the gear lube with GM posi lube and a small bottle of GM posi additive. the clicking will go away.

Old 09-07-2006, 03:19 PM
June 2007 ROTM

ORIGINAL: uncle bill

You have a c-clip holding the axle in, the amount or movement is normal. The clicking is the clutches in the posi. Change the gear lube with GM posi lube and a small bottle of GM posi additive. the clicking will go away.

thank you uncle bill. I was coming with that.

Old 09-07-2006, 06:10 PM
Overdrive Member

ORIGINAL: uncle bill

I would agree with this but on a posi or limited slip there is no c clip. You could not install that clip in these units. The axle is held in with pressed on bearings and axle retaining plates botled to the ends of the tubes. To remove the axle you have to remove the wheel, drum or rotor and the four bolts that usualy are just holding the backing plate, Then pull the axle.
It still would not hurt to check out the innards and dont forget to use friction modifyer or an oil for posi's.

Old 09-07-2006, 06:17 PM
Overdrive Member

ScottD
I am sorry for questioning your highly tuned eyes'. My brothers Dyno-Butt could tell when I did something to my car, like when I added an MSD amplifier, He knew it!

Quick Reply: How much play should rear axle have? (in/out)